We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is using a dongle secure?

bturner

Likes # 0

Is using a Vodafone dongle susceptible as far as security goes?

I was watching a programme last night that warned of the poor security when using a wireless connection and wondered if that applied to dongles too as I may need to be using one when I go abroad.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The thing to remember is that no device which accesses any form of network is totally secure. Wireless technology provides opportunities for misuse, and it would be wrong to suggest otherwise. When you set up the dongle, make sure that you haven't got file-sharing enabled.

That said, I think a sense of perspective is a good thing here - the average user is very unlikely to experience any form of intrusion when using a wireless dongle. I've used one for years,and I've never had cause for concern. If,on the other hand, your mobile device is stuffed with Top Secret files it would not make sense to use the dongle in a crowded airport for instance, or in a coffee shop where everyone is using a laptop.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Thank-you for the reply and tip.

I will not be using my laptop in the airport but I will be renting an apartment in a gated complex and doing my online banking there.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Bank connections are normally encrypted anyway. Also the banks give the guarantee that you will not lose money through internet use providing you are not negligent ie. that you have up to date security installed.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply Alan.

I have Micrososft security essentials real time protection running and run the free version of superantispyware and malwarebytes weekly.

Do you recommend anything else?

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Popular opinion says that MSE is a bit weak but MWB and SAS are good programs if kept updated. I use MSE on 4 of my machine and never had a problem but that does not mean that others are in a similar position. There are plenty of free professional Antivirus programs out there including Avast, Avira, AVG and several others.

These of course will have no effect on external security using the Dongle as the device is wireless and always susceptible to interception of the wireless signal. As I say bank connections are encrypted to prevent just this kind of interception Having said that I can't see any criminal gang deliberately targeting you Unless you are a multi millionaire and it is worth their while to expend a lot of resources doing so.

I have used internet dongles since 2003 and never ever had a problem and I do use it extensively for banking.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I will be renting an apartment in a gated complex and doing my online banking there."

That's precisely the situation that needs careful thought. You asked about using the dongle, but of course that isn't what needs protecting, it's simply a wireless connection device - a doorway through which someone with the necessary know-how can walk right in. The risk is to your computer itself, and you have already taken steps to protect it and your files.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Exactly. Just one other thing occurs to me. When using the Dongle do you have an active firewall. Most ADSL routers have one built in but when using a Dongle it isn't there any more so it might be well to just check that the Windows firewall is active. To be honest I'm not sure if that is linked to MSE in any way.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Thanks a lot for the replies.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

I checked by going to Start, search programmes and files and typing in "Firewall" and see that it is turned on.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Hi

Good to be of some assistance. Surf Safe

Regards Alan

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

One last thing to remember...

Your mobile network provider will make hefty charges for data transfers when you are roaming. A dongle is the same as a mobile phone in that respect. Even 'normal' internet use can quickly result in a sizeable additional charge to your phone account.

Check with Vodafone before you go, so there are no nasty surprises waiting for you when you get back.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'