We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Router information to set up new iPad

Tammy Troot
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a PC which is connected by cable to VirginMedia for broadband. I have just bought an iPad and need router information to set it up to connect to WiFi, The shop advised me to set up the iPad at home and that I should be able to find the necessary router inf on my existing equipment. The salesmen said to look for information as follows :- SSID-viginmedia525x and Password - xxx. I cannot find anything with this inf on it. Can anyone help?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Is it the superhub you have if so it will give you the code on the back of it.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

On my router, it's on a sticky label on the underside.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

It should say passphrase and the code on the right hand side of it.

Never done it before but I would imagine you would add the passphrase code to the I-pad connection.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Sorry it is the ssid number you want from the back of the superhub.Not sure if it asks for the passphrase as well.

Make sure Wi-Fi is switched on in the i-Pad in settings.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The iPad should find your router's SSID without any problem. You just need to check that it is your SSID and not a neighbour's. If you are using the superhub then all you need to do is enter the passphrase which is printed on the side of the router.

Jock1e it will definitely ask for the passphrase.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you do not have a Superhub and an earlier D-Link router then you will have to enter the router's configuration pages and set up the password. You should have done this when you first received it if the wireless is turned on.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It will find SSID, if its not set to not Broadcast SSID. If it is set to not Broadcast you will have to change it in the router under Wireless settings

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It will find SSID, if its not set to not Broadcast SSID. If it is set to not Broadcast you will have to change it in the router under Wireless settings

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

My router (Belkin) has a main access password and a guest access (for visiting grandkids etc) When you enter the router webpage it displays the security code blanks (.....)for main access but the guest access code is shown in clearin the "guest" tab. My wife's iPad is set on that, as is our laptop, so it may be you can see your guest code if you look at the router settings.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Just a thought but do you actually have a VM wireless hub/router. If you only have one PC connected by cable you may just have a Modem. In which case you will have to ask VM for a Wireless router or alternatively buy a Wireless Cable Router and connect it to the Modem. They can be had fairly cheaply. I bought this one (Wireless Cable Router) from Amazon before VM gave me a Superhub2. Its dual band and quite fast.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow