We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cant open discs in my dvd drive

carnoustiejim

Likes # 0

hi when I put a disc into my dvd drive it wont open tried them on my laptop and they open ok so confusing can you help me please thanks kirriejim

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I assume that the dvd drive you are talking about is a stand-alone unit or is it attached to a desktop computer, because using another drive (laptop) as no bearing on the problem when you want to reject the disk?.

Might pay to explain what type of equipment you are having a problem with, and we might be able to provide some form of answer?.

Like this post
carnoustiejim

Likes # 0

hi spuds the dvd drive is a slimtype dvd a d58a5sh ata device attached to my ain pc hope this is what you need to know kirriejim

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What sort of DVD's?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Op system?

click the Start button clickControl Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click AutoPlay.

Select the action that you want Windows to perform for each media type, and then click Save.

Like this post
carnoustiejim

Likes # 0

hi ive tried to open cds, dvd- discs which were opening before and have software,mp3s on them my o/s is win 7 have set auto play as suggested still the same checked device manager the device is working properly kirriejim

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

It is very common for one other or on a very rare occasion both of the laser led`s in read/write heads of CD/DVD drives to fail, if so then a replacement drive is the only cure

Cheers HC

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Can you explore the disk?

Like this post
carnoustiejim

Likes # 0

cant explore disc kirriejim

Like this post
carnoustiejim

Likes # 0

cant explore disc kirriejim

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I am beginning to wonder if the disk might be security coded, so it will only open on certain set devices?.

What happens when you try other disks,that you have never had problems with. Are the results the same?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more