We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fan makes loud noise at night

Modomancs

Likes # 0

So.. You see , when I leave my PC open all night , the fan goes loud for some reason (CPU Fan) . So uhhh.... any way to fix it without replacing the whole fan?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

When you say..."when I leave my PC open all night"...do you mean 'ON'?

Like this post
Modomancs

Likes # 0

Yeah

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

It might be that the fan is more noticeable at night because there is ambient noise around to cover the sound of the fan.

It is a reasonable simple process to replace the heatsink/fan unit on your processor.

But to advise on what ones to go for we would need to know a few details of tour PC. If you know what motherboard you have great, if not make and model of PC should with a little research provide the information.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

...Or, just turn the PC off at night...Aah Bliss!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If it is the fan, and not the quietness of your surroundings, then replacing the fan isn't difficult or expensive, if you have the time and expertise.

If a fan is left on 24/7, then the rates of knots these things work at, no wonder they wear out over time?.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It might be worth cleaning the Fan Blades with a stiff brush

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Do you mean the fan gets louder at a specific time?

Could be a timed event - defrag - auto-updating anti-virus.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Maybe change the clock by 12hrs just as a test.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Unless it really has to be on all night, shut your PC down and stop wasting electricity.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?