We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Thanks to PCA Forum Contributers

Woolwell
Resolved

Likes # 0

Thank you to those who contribute to this forum. Yesterday I had to clear from a PC (not my own's) the police scam virus/malware. I knew how to do it because of the threads on the subject in this forum. It worked well. The Malwarebytes scan did take some time. System restore in safe mode did the trick.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

" The Malwarebytes scan did take some time."

Did you run the "Full Scan" or the "Quick Scan"? If it was the former then it will take ages. The Quick Scan is dramatically faster as it only searches the locations where malware normally resides and is apparently 99.9% effective. Before I run a Quick Scan I use Disk Cleanup to delete Temp and Temporary Internet Files. The scan then takes a maximum of 15 minutes.

If you want to prevent your friend becoming reinfected, uninstall Java, replace Adobe Reader with a different PDF reader (such as Foxit), and ensure Adobe Flash is always up-to-date. If it's essential to leave Java installed then always update it the moment you're notified.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It was the full scan and it found 3 problems. Unfortunately Java is required. Thanks.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

PS Seemed to have picked it up from a You-tube video site.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You forgot to mention that MSE did not detect it so shows what a poor program it is.

Anyone else not wanting it downloaded on their computer it is time to pay for any Anti-malware program that gives you full time protection.

Woolwell how did you manage to run the Malwarebytes scan could you still get into the computer even after being infected by the police scam virus/malware. Normally it just blanks the screen out so that you cannot use anything.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Jock1E

I got in through Safe Mode with Networking and ran system restore and Malwarebytes from there. Agree about MSE. I cannot now recommend it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

MSE was inadvertently helpful as an update to it had created a system restore point only a few hours before the problem.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I never tried removing it in safe mode before so worth noting in case I have to use it in the future.

I am not sure if there is ant free Security programs that finds and deletes it before it gets on your computer if anyone knows of one let us know so that we can recommend it to others.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Seemed to have picked it up from a You-tube video site."

In that case Adobe Flash was probably the route of infection so make sure your friend updates his Flash Player to the very latest version and always acts on update-notification alerts.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'll go round and run all of the updates as he is not that good at doing them.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I got my first PC in 2000AD, (my PC knowledge at that time was Zero!) during the first three years I learned a lot from a regular subscription to PC Home Magazine (plus its free discs), then I found PCA and, thanks to these Forums, have continued my learning curve ever since - some years ago I passed a PC knowledge test and was awarded the highly sought-after Degree of Technotiger.

I changed my pseudonym to Nontek a while ago.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good