We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

connection to smart tv via mobile wifi

probkeith
Resolved

Likes # 0

hi all - I have a caravan out in the sticks with no access to wired intertnet. I am able to use my tablet via mobile wifi but I would like to connect tv to internet but it has wired connection only. I cannot get my head around the equipment I need. Any help would be appreciated.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

You simply need a 3G router which is a normal router that allows you to insert a 3G Mobile Dongle to connect to the internet.

If you are wanting to do this so you can download movies etc then forget it. The data usage is far too high to use 3G mobile connections and often the speed is not high enough for streaming in some areas especially if only 2G is available. The best way to ensure a 3G connection if it is available is to go with "3" as their network is 3G only but check coverage on their map first.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

PS I use a Zoom 4501 3G router which is excellent and runs a 4 machine wired network as well as wireless connection. I think it cost me about £38.

click here

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

PS I use a Zoom 4501 3G router which is excellent and runs a 4 machine wired network as well as wireless connection. I think it cost me about £38.

click here

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Sorry double post. Broke off to help "she who must be obeyed" and wasn't sure whether I had already posted it or not.

Like this post  
probkeith

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. I access internet via 3 mobile using an unlocked Huawei 586E mobile WiFi device and average connection speeds are in excess of 3 Meg. I intend eventually boosting this signal. Is it possible to purchase a router that will link with the Huawei wirelessly rather than keep removing sim to put in router?

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

You don't keep removing the sim to put it in the router. The USB Dongle connects to the USB socket on the router and stays there. You can then connect any device by either ethernet (4 x RJ45 sockets) or wireless using WPA security as you would to any other router.

Like this post
probkeith

Likes # 0

Thank you for your help with this - I will have a look round for a router that will allow me to connect to it via usb.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

There are quite a few around. The Zoom I have is great as you don't need to input any network information, it finds it automatically. I frequently switch between networks without any problem. Just make sure whatever you do that the router is compatible with the dongle. Some are not compatible with some of the latest Huawewi ones.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone