We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My PC is freezing when I watch videos online

trvst

Likes # 0

So for the past week my PC has been freezing whenever I try to watch youtube videos (plus any web player). Before it happens, the video plays for a while - but has no sound. I can still listen to music via itunes so sound isn't an issue there. So I usually press the power button until it turns off then reboot it and start windows normally. After say, 3 or 4 times of doing this, youtube finally has audio. That being said, audio doesn't kick in for 5 seconds in on the first video I try. After this, my PC runs fine and when the time comes to shut down, it freezes again. I have no idea what's causing this.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You don't say which browser you are using but you may find a solution here enter link description here

Like this post
trvst

Likes # 0

I'm using chrome - and that link doesn't help; Like I said, it's my PC that freezes, not the video.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Open task manager and click the processes tab. Under options tab, select 'always on top' for now. Move it out of the way of the video. Check processes that are running before you start the video. Make sure you expand the task manager's window as long as possible and view all is selected. Run the video then check task manager for ram and cpu usage, and any other, before it freezes. Continually closing down the PC via the start button isn't good for the mobo. If all looks fine then I'd hazzard a guess that the PSU might be failing. If you have any USB periferals, other than monitor and keyboard and mouse, disconnect them after shutdown. Boot up again and see if the PC works better.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

or you could type msconfig into the run box and under startup tab turn off all programs that do not need to start at boot. leave av etc running

Like this post
trvst

Likes # 0

I ran task manager but I have no idea how to judge what's fine and what isn't. Here's a pic I took after it froze - apologies for the crappy quality - so you can see for yourself.

right, I've disabled most programs that were starting on boot. Still freezing whenever I try to play videos.

Additionally, Spotify seems to work fine, streaming audio, it just seems to be video players.

Like this post
trvst

Likes # 0

It would probably help if I actually included the link to the pic -

click here

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It could be a codec conflict. Task manager just shows that Chrome is using a bit of ram.

Have a look at this fixit'. click here

Like this post
trvst

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply but I tried that earlier - I'll give it another go though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad