We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Security Risk In Uploading From Hard Drive?

Laurence WM
Resolved

Likes # 0

Is there any security risk in uploading pictures from your hard drive on to the net, to a blog, for instance? Could a hacker possibly detect your IP address, or anything?

Thanks very much indeed, Laurence

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 1

Not as far as I am aware.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

PS If they can find your IP address what do you think they can do with it. IP addresses are allocated by your ISP on a dynamic basis. If you switch off your router for about 30 mins you will almost certainly be allocated a new IP when you switch it back on. The one you currently have has probably been allocated to many people before you who will probably have used it many ways. So long as you have a firewall I would not worry about this

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

There's something called metadata that will contain information about the picture. Select a photo from your hard drive. Open it. Windows photo viewer usually. Right click then select properties. Click the details tab. Scroll down on the info, which is small, but non the less info, about the name and owner of the PC. There is a tab in blue writing at the bottom to remove all info. I wouldn't do this if you need to keep copyright. If you need total anonymity, copy the photo to desktop. Rename (important) then go to properties and use the link to remove all info. Post that ptcture.

Like this post  
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Hi rdave13

Yes that is a belt and braces approach which should give the OP peace of mind. Personaly I wouldn't bother. Just as a matter of interest if the photo is from a camera and simply copied to the computer how can the metadata include details of the computer. Is it rewritten or something during the copy stage. Can't think that such a thing is the norm but I stand to be corrected if you have evidence to the contrary.

Like this post
Laurence WM

Likes # 0

Thanks a lot, Alan and RDave. My IP doesn't actually change as frequently as you suggest, Alan, even when I switch off the router for long periods, but this sounds like it doesn't matter in this case.

Rdave, I particularly appreociate the detailed instructions (although I'm using XP Service Pack 3, on which the menus aren't quite the same). I assume you are writing about one's own photos, rather than images downloaded from the net?

Cheers, Laurence

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Just downloaded a royalty free photo from a site called stockvault. The photo properties details shows the author's name, date taken, copyright and even the program name used to publish it. In this case it's Adobe Photoshop 7.0. Scrolling down it shows the folder path, C:\Users\ yourname\Desktop. Underneath shows the computer's Owner name (christian name only) and the name of the computer.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

alanrwood , some of my older photos show 'administrator' as the owner from a Samsung camera and the name of the computer only. The Lumix camera shows my name. It's not security breaking info but it's something to be aware of.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

rdave13. Many thanks for the additional info. I wonder where it got the authors name from if it was just copied from a camera or was it just the name of the person who's account was being used at the time it was copied to the computer. If so I wonder then what happens when it is subsequently uploaded elsewhere. Does it then change. I have had a look at a few of my photos and the meta data does not give my name . It simply gives owner as "Administrator" and the computer name and path

Like this post
Laurence WM

Likes # 0

rdave13,

I've been using a laptop with Windows 7 so have been able to follow your instructions (from your first post exactly and see just you mean, so many thanks for that.

I have also downloaded from Stockvault. The details of the photo were all blank. The info at the bottom - folder path, owner's name - were those of the laptop I was using, i.e. nothing to do with the photographer or uploader.

Thanks again, Laurence

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Depends on what the user uses as a photo editor and camera I suppose and the fact what the author wants to show. It's easy enough to get rid of the info. Most use a watermark, in addition, for copyright protection. This is the picture I downloaded for testing, click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...