We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Morzilla Thunderbird will not download all folders

Electronic_Eric
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi

I've recently switched my email client from "Windows Live Mail" to "Morzilla Thunderbird". In Thunderbird, i can not download all of my emails and folders. It will only download the "Inbox". The email account is Hotmail. Some might say its because it's a POP3 account but in "Windows Live Mail", i'm able to download all emails and folders which makes me believe that this can be done. The Windows 8 mail app is able to this too.

So my question is how can all of my emails and folders be downloaded in Thunderbird? I'm using version 17 of the email client.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I suppose the obvious question would be ; why change to a client that gives problems?

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

You need to set the inbound server type as IMAP instead of POP3.

With IMAP the master copy is held on Hotmail's servers and your PC is synchronised with that when you are online.

With POP3 your PC is the master copy and any new emails are downloaded to your Inbox. It's then up to you where (i.e. which folders) you put them on your PC.

It's nothing to do with (i.e. not unique to) Thunderbird, - it's how most email clients work.

Like this post
Electronic_Eric

Likes # 0

rdave13 - Because i want to set up mail rules, which, Windows Live Mail doesn't allow me to do.

Batch - Hotmail is pop3 only.

I've recently found that a way round to do this is to set it up via Exchange Active. I'm not sure of the details to configure it though.

Like this post
Electronic_Eric

Likes # 0

*ActiveSync

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Yes it can be done. I use T/B and used to download hotmail emails using T/B.

Do a Google search with subject "Thunderbird Hotmail settings" it will probably give you the info you want.

You may be able to download all your previous messages by marking them unread and transferring them to the Hotmail inbox.

Not sure if Thunderbird can import all messages from Hotmail but have a look under Tools\Import.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You can create message rules with Windows Live Mail but hotmail may pose a problem.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Electronic_Eric

I have a POP3 account and I use Thunderbird, without any problems. Open Account Settings, on the left, click 'Server Settings'. Near the bottom on the right hand side, click on the button marked 'Advanced'.

The windows that now opens is called 'Advanced Account Settings', it says...

For account "Your email address"

When downloading POP3 mail from this server, use the following folder for new mail:

(It then gives you three options)

(1) Inbox for this server's account (I have this box ticked)

(2) Global Inbox (Local Folders Account)

(3) Inbox for different account

(here you can open a drop down box for the different account)

I hope this helps.

Like this post
Electronic_Eric

Likes # 0

alanrwood - I've already done that before posting the topic.

Woolwell - I've read on the internet stating that even though that Windows Live Mail won't allow message rules on a Hotmail account, other mail clients will.

Graphicool1 - The setting that you state is done by default.

It looks like after all of these years, i might be moving on to a big and better email provider because i definitely want message rules.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Well all I can add to your decision to move on, is take a tip from me and DON'T move on to 'Incredimail'. They have far too many other problems and issues. Once they've caught you, believe me when I tell you it isn't easy to break away. As there are no direct ways to move your saved emails from Incredimail to any other email client.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

In your original post you say: " In Thunderbird, i can not download all of my emails and folders. It will only download the "Inbox". The email account is Hotmail. Some might say its because it's a POP3 account but in "Windows Live Mail", i'm able to download all emails and folders which makes me believe that this can be done." And later you confirm that Hotmail is only POP3.

Well, as I understand it:

• With POP3 you can only download the contents of your inbox folder from the server (to your PC's mail local 'database'). In doing so you can either leave copies of the inbox emails on the server or have them removed from the server (email clients provide for this choice). If you then want them in other folders in your local database you manually move them (or move them based on rules as they are downloaded).

• In using Windows Live Mail (WLM), have you actually been downloading the folder contents or are you accessing the servers copies all along (and adding folders on the server, niot your PC)? I'm not familiar with WLM so I don't know whether it is capable of this (as a sort of webmail, but through a dedicated app rather than through a general purpose browser).

If my thinking is right, it might be that you are trying to move from a webmail type environment to POP3 local storage type environment. To get all the contents of the folders on to your local PC, you would need to move them into your server side inbox, then check your mail using TBird (which should download all the mails into your local inbox) and then you can move them to whatever folders you desire.

Of course it might be that WLM has some unique capability that I'm not familiar with.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features