We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows activation same product key on two cptrs

anniesboy68

Likes # 0

I have just loaded windows 7 64 bit [replacing 32bit] on to my laptop and low and behold the product key is the same as on my PC which is 64bit. How can that happen?? I thought each computer had is own key. Any answers would be appreciated. AB68

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The product key (licence) belongs to the software. Have you loaded the same W7 disc twice?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe I am thinking of security programs but I thought that you could use the one key on a desktop and laptop.

Maybe I am getting a bit mixed up between the two of them.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You should have used the key printed on the label, usually underneath the laptop, during installation. change product key 7. You will the have to activate via the telephone. Just follow instructions.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

OEM version is linked to one machine and as far as I am aware W7 retail is for one pc only. See Answers Microsoft. Sorry Jock1e but you are getting mixed up between office, security suites and the OS.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Thanks Woolwell I thought that maybe I had it wrong.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

W7 retail is for one pc only - I agree Woolwell

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

I should have added that its been activated

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If it is activated then what exactly is your problem?

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

Again I should also add that the box purchased some while ago from PC World contains the two disks 32 and 64 bit with only the one product number for both. As stated its been activated but my problem is I am going to sell the laptop and I do not wish to upset Microsoft. The two disks will go with the computer as I have another two disks should my PC fail.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You have told us nothing about the W7 install dvds. Maybe you got Windows 7 Family Pack that allows you to upgrade/install on up to three PCs click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014