We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC locks up very often, How to diagnose lock ups?

FirefIy

Likes # 0

Hello, My PC keeps freezing (locking up) every hour or so, and happens for around 10-15 seconds, programs I'm running start not responding, but I have move my mouse cursor, then my mouse cursor freezes and everything is frozen for around 10 seconds. I'm not really sure what's the cause of this.

My PC specs: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 (MB) AMD Phenom II x4 965 (CPU) Nvidia GTX 650 (GPU) Hyper xblu 4 GB 1,3 Ghz (RAM)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Run core temp by the side of your browser or select 'always on top' under the options tab for now. You can then monitor your CPU. If it's getting hot, then you need to clean the innards of the PC. Straighforeward if a desktop. Common sense applies but if you need a bit of guidence we'll be happy to share how we do it as cheaply as possible. Usually free.

Like this post
FirefIy

Likes # 0

PC's new, I've assembled it my self, I doubt it's dust in my CPU's cooler.

Like this post
FirefIy

Likes # 0

PS. I've checked the tempreature of my CPU and it's around 55 degrees celcius when I'm playing games, and that's not much for an AMD processor.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Could be a faulty ram module.

Like this post
FirefIy

Likes # 0

Last time I checked my Ram using ramtest86 it showed me no errors.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Try reducing Graphics acceleration in Display properties, Control Panel

Like this post
FirefIy

Likes # 0

I'm starting to think that the CPU is faulty.

Like this post
FirefIy

Likes # 0

Speed fan: PC Idle click here

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What does core temp show?

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs , but I assume you have checked all cards , ram etc are seated fully ? also I have had freeze ups when I have loaded new drivers for my GTX680 , especially beta .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide