We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help for a clueless mother

uselessmum

Likes # 0

My son who is 9 loves to go on simulator games, such as flight simulators, ambulance, farmer simulators. So I am looking to buy him a beginner PC for Christmas, this will mainly be used for playing simulators and general internet use and some school work. Any help, ideas what I should be looking for and pointing me in a good direction would be fantastic. I really have no idea about this type of thing.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

What is your Budget?

Like this post
uselessmum

Likes # 0

Around 300ish

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

You might be lucky and get one of these ... Aldi

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I don't think this comes with monitor, so will have to allow approx £150 or so on top of the computer price.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Monitor £30 on eBay

Or £86 at Debenhams.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look at this and add this. £104 over budget and hopefully someone can beat this.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The package deal rdave13 suggested seems a good buy as a complete unit. I would have perhaps suggested a Zoomstorm at about £150 from Ebuyer, but you would have required the operating system, which would have added further expense on top of the £150.

What I would suggest if finance is tight, is perhaps have a look on eBay for a complete system. Then do what I usually do, and select something local to you, then arrange an inspection. I have picked up many 'complete' bargains like this, because people wanted to upgrade to something more in line with greater expectations. My last two complete system bargains cost less than £100 the pair. One had Windows 7 the other had Linux. Monitor wise, one had an 18" LED Delium, the other an 18" Acer. Inspecting and talking to the previous owner, can usually give a good insight to the item you might want to purchase.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Personally i would think only the pc rdave has linked to will play a flight sim because it has a good graphics card

the other type of sims may play on the other systems its hard to know without a bit more information

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

I meant the system nontek linked to at aldi

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

or plug it into the a tv

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers