We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blue Screen caused by ntoskrnl.exe, Faulty SSD?

dooey123
Resolved

Likes # 0

For 2 days I've been having an issue with my PC running Win 7 giving me a blue screen for no reason (no hardware/software changes). I have a feeling the primary SSD containing the OS has become faulty but I would like some advice before buying a new one. Symptoms:

• PC boots to desktop, everything seems fine
  • Windows Microsoft security essentials is (red) switched off for unknown reason and I'm unable to turn in back on. (it times out then gives an error code.)
  • After about 5 minutes windows stops being responsive and BSOD appears
  • Booting into safe mode with networking seems to work fine, (although it did crash once), I left the PC on in safe mode, came back in 7 hours and it is still working. I am currently using safe mode to post this.
  • It seems after a soft reset the SSD (primary with OS) is not detected (Boot device LED on motherboard lit RED, missing from the Detected ATA/ATAPI Devices list within the AMI BIOS POST screen)
  • Tried booting to Win 7 installation disk to repair but get 'This version is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair', though they should be the same version as it's the same disc that came with the PC.

Specs:

• Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (LGA1155 (Sandy Bridge))
  • Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K, Quad Core @ 3.40GHz
  • Memory: 4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz DDR3
  • Primary HD: 160GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD SATA
  • Secondary HD: 2TB Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632 SATA
  • PSU: Quiet Xilence 800W

Dump of BSOD message from BlueScreen view software (same info for every crash) :

dump file: 071913-49452-01.dmp
Time: 19/07/2013 06:13:04
Bug check string: CRITICALOBJECTTERMINATION
Bug check code: 0x000000f4 Parameter 1: 00000000 00000003
P2: fffffa80 0fac9b30
P3: fffffa80 0fac9e10
P4: fffff800 06fd4350
Caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe
Caused by address: ntoskrnl.exe+75c00

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Have a look here as there seems to be several causes of this problem. BSOD.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Blue Screen caused by ntoskrnl.exe"

In your case, I think the mention of ntoskrnl as being the faulting driver is a red-herring. If it was missing or corrupt your computer wouldn't work at all.

Have a look here for suggestions on things you can try. I'd probably start with running chkdsk /f on the System Drive. There's normally no point in checking for bad sectors as that's usually the job of the SSD's firmware.

I doubt it's a malware problem as the BSoD also occurred in Safe Mode but there's no harm in running a Quick Scan using the Free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - just remember to decline the invitation for the free trial of their Pro version.

Like this post
dooey123

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply. I ran chkdsk /f c: and although it completed the whole process it did come up with "File record segment 536352 is unreadable" 4 bad file records processed.

Is this confirmation that I should get a new primary drive and that the bad record segments contain something that isn't loaded when in safe mode (as safe mode has been working fine)?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

When you ran the above you should have ticked the box for it to fix Errors

What ever you do, do not run Defrag on a SSD drive.

My thoughts is that you have got a nasty on your system

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"..........is this confirmation that I should get a new primary drive"

I reckon you ought to wait and see if you get any more BSoDs as the Windows Disk Check may have a fixed something.

"..........(as safe mode has been working fine)?"

You said in your first post that "it did crash once" in Safe Mode which isn't really fine at all. Was that crash a BSoD or something different?

Anyhow, I recommend you try that malware scan I mentioned earlier.

"When you ran the above you should have ticked the box for it to fix Errors"

Woodchip, the /f switch tells chkdsk to fix any problems it finds. It's run from a Command Prompt window so there are no boxes to tick.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

I reckon you ought to wait and see if you get any more BSoDs as the Windows Disk Check may have a fixed something.

You said in your first post that "it did crash once" in Safe Mode which isn't really fine at all. Was that crash a BSoD or something different?

Woodchip, the /f switch tells chkdsk to fix any problems it finds. It's run from a Command Prompt window so there are no boxes to tick.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Like this post
dooey123

Likes # 0

Thank you for replying. I'm still getting the same consistent error after the chkdsk /f and also after clearing some nasties with malware bytes (I have rescanned to make sure everything has been cleared). I also noticed the MS Security Essentials does eventually switch itself on but normally it should be pretty instant.

I have been into safe mode many times now for hours so either the crash was just a freak event or I'd confused it with the normal-mode crashes. Also just to confirm following a crash and auto-reboot the BIOS cannot see the primary SSD drive and so boots to a flashing cursor, I need to power switch off for it to be recognised again.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I think woodchip is along the right lines. If Malwarebytes has seen infections then I don't think faffing about trying to clean the drive is worth while. As you can get to safe mode I would backup all your data, including email,browser favourites, music, photos and anything else you can think of. Unfortunately all your installed programs will need to be reinstalled so make sure you have the licence keys available. Win updates will also have to be reinstalled. Once you are satisfied you have backed up all your required info I'd go for a reformat during installing Win 7. BEFORE YOU START AGAIN, make sure you enable AHCI Sata in the Bios. This is a good guide for optimizing an SSD drive with installing 7. Keep scrolling down between the adverts.enter link description here. That's what I would do. Once installed check Trim is running.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you have a OEM CD can you use it to do a repair?

ie boot with the CD in the Drive after setting bios to boot from CD then save settings

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......