We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PVR strange happening-is it broken-do they get repaired

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Setting up to record via EPG is normally straight forward- select the channel then the prgramme -OK iy job done. That is what tried to last night- thine however the EPG came up but with no info on the channels-also the cours were wrong- then when ino came up -all went off before a selection could be made.

So checkeck the HDD state and carried out a mass deletion of unwatch material going back months- SO now plenty of drive spave. Checked that all connections were in place.

Tried once more- still the same. Tried a manual set up -which set up OK but did not record.

The HDD seems OK inso far that the stored progs play back.

So next move please chaps[s] It is a Sony HXD890

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Try retuning all TV channels.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Update the Sony firmware? click here Firmware upgrade

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Jack I'm not sure I got the right Sony product as it talks about DVDs and you said PVR.. anyway it's worth a look.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Generally, on my Humax, missing or incomplete EPG is a transitory thing - it eventually comes back. Some glitsch in the transmission of the EPG, I'd guess. BRYNIT's is a good idea - and I assume you've rebooted it, waiting the mandatory 10+ seconds?

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Have you tried powering the PVR down completely by unplugging it from the mains for a few mins then power up again, it has always worked for me when the sky box plays up as it does on an odd occasion

Cheers HC

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you all so far It has been unplugged whilst going throogh all the unplug/replug session

lotvic

The manual calls the machine DVD recorder- it does it all Records vth HDD allow editing and copying to DVD [ a bit fussy on what type disc it likes and also fussy with regard 'burned discs'

Is there a difference between a DVD recorder as above and a PVR?

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

SparkyJack,

I've got a similar problem with a Sony RDR-HXD970 DVD Recorder. Yesterday it would play back recorded material, but it would not show the TV channel when the recording was stopped.

Today it is showing" Update" on the machine's LCD screen and it won't let me do anything, even if I pull the mains lead out and leave it out for several minutes.

I don't know if it's the heat or if an update has broken it. I've left it unplugged to let it cool down.

Peter.

Like this post
Newuser939

Likes # 0

Peter,

My HXD970 has done exactly the same thing today. Surely that cannot be a coincidence. For the moment I haven't pulled the plug out in case it is performing a very long update, but I am not confident.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Oh, perhaps you all better have a look at my link for the RDR-HXD790 / 795 /890 / 895 / 990 / 995 / 1090 / 1095 and check your Firmware version.

Like this post
Newuser939

Likes # 0

It seems from here click here if machines are going down all over the country. Probably best to wait for Sony or whoever broadcasts the EPG data to come up with a solution.

as

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......