We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

NIS 2013 - Pricing logic??

compumac

Likes # 0

I have Norton Internet Security 2013 for three PC's. This is due for renewal in August. Symantec have kindly offered me a subscription renewal of ONLY £44.99. Their website offers the item NEW for £39.99. It also can be obtained at varying prices with Amazon offering it at £21.28.

I have been aware of this sort of discrepancy for a number of years, but what is the logic behind the Pricing?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

To the average consumer, there is no logic, but to a marketing team there is, because it all comes down to what the consumer will bear or put up with.

On the product you have quoted, you are correct in the different price changes, because it doesn't take al that long for a 'savvy' shopper to find the best price on the day. One thing that I do notice on a very regular basis, is that the manufacturer cannot or will not compete with retailer's on their own products. And some people consider that going direct to the manufacturer offers the best product and service, when in reality it doesn't.

Perhaps going further with this issue, you don't need to look further that the USA and see how some of their prices for the same product are very different to here in the UK. We often hear that the relevant bodies are looking into this, but so far, very little evidence of price equality seems to have taken place.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

It is not only Norton that does it most security company's do it but like yourself it is just a matter of shopping around till you get it at the lowest price.

I think but not 100% sure that they have resellers that sell it by buying it in bulk the more you buy the cheaper it is and some of them are really cheap that way so can sell it at a cheaper price.

Whether I am correct or not I don't know, All I know is that I can normally pick up my security programs for at least half the normal price and sometimes cheaper than that.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Out of interest Symantec in the end offered to equal the best price by charging me the full price and then giving a refund. I would prefer to pay for the item at the agreed price at the outset and not rely on a refund appearing at a later date.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps looking at this from a different view point or angle. How many people had insurance or other product renewals, then done a price comparison, and found cheaper elsewhere or with the very same company?.

There have been cases of people with motor vehicle insurance being quoted £200 or more for renewals, then that person as done a price comparison with the same company, and find that they could save that £200 and more. Pointing this out to the insurance company, as usually led to acceptance of the far lower figure, usually without a quibble.

An example that involves me on a fairly regular basis, especially with computer or many other similar goods, is checking the likes of eBay or trade directories, then ordering an item direct from Hong Kong or that area of the world. How can a UK company ask for say £25.00, when I can and have purchased the same item delivered to my door from Hong Kong for a fiver or less. Okay it might not be next day delivery, usually 10/14 days, but what a saving. It just doesn't make sense.

So perhaps we, or at least some of us, have only ourselves to blame?.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I was able to obtain NIS 2013 direct from Symantec at a price equivalent to the best price elsewhere available along with a subscription extension of three months to fifteen months.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Personally, I can't understand why anyone is still paying for internet security, given the excellent job that e.g. MSE, Avast and AVG do.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton. . Just a matter of personal choice.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton

If they did that great a job maybe we would not have so many coming on here for help.

I use the pay for versions of Eset and Emisoft anti Malware and you have to ask when was the last time you heard of any problems with folk using those products.

Like compumac says it is a personal choice.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Personally, I can't understand why anyone is still paying for internet security, given the excellent job that e.g. MSE, Avast and AVG do."

I agree with you on that Ian. Avast, and in particular, AVG Free, are reliable and effective anti-malware solutions that consistently do well in independent testing. Their performance is on par with most of the top paid-for products, and they frequently outperform their costly rivals. Have a look here for full details on most of the top players in the AV field.

MSE has unfortunately had so much worrying negative press in the past few months.

".........and you have to ask when was the last time you heard of any problems with folk using those products."

Jock1e, Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a relatively obscure product and I think we're probably going to wait a very long time for any anecdotal reports to trickle through ;)

It's difficult to find any independent testing reports for your favourite AV software but here's the report from the reputable Virus Bulletin which disappointingly shows several failures and here's the review from PCmag.com who didn't rate it too highly either. Avast and AVG on the other hand were rated much higher on that site.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Jock1e, I forgot to address your other comment earlier:

"..............If they did that great a job maybe we would not have so many coming on here for help."

No single AV product is guaranteed to detect and remove 100% of threats (the industry average is 95%) so that's why folks occasionally become infected and come here for help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September