We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

VLC and .MOV FILES.,

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

The more I have to use this player the more I dislike it. Run Win 8 pro and used to use WMP on 7. Since WMP won't play DVDs on 8 I've had to resort to the wonderful VLC player. Now VLC used to play any video, with sound, from a Samsung camera. So far so good. First Samsung camera over heated and died a death and the second lost auto focus. Both now consigned to the 'green filing cabinet'.

Bought a Panasonic camera and the videos are .mov files. Windows Media Player has no problems. Media Player Classic has no problems. VLC plays the home video but with no sound. Have uninstalled, run Ccleaner, had a look for 64-bit version, tried 32-bit version and free Revo doesn't see it.

Oh and I've even resorted to the Quicktime alternative for codecs.

Can someone please help why VLC doesn't play .MOV home video audio files for me. The video is OK but sound is missing. Much appreciated.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Sorry Dave, beyond me best wait for sydsnott.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

bumpkin,but for how long? These emails are a burden.....

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Lotvic...... where are thy self? I'm in dire straights...! (Aichbee no comment on my 'likeable rock band' but certainly not the best, thank you.

Unless you really have to.)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You don't need to use VLC. There are other free programs free mov player for W8. Quicktime is listed too.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Woolwell , thanks for that. It's a matter of preference. I want one player to play all. I've already mentioned Windows Media Player plays these files but I thought VLC was an all round player? Obviously not.

I don't wish to install Quicktime player as I've already installed the codecs, reluctantly.

Thanks for your thoughts anyway.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I thought that VLC was an all-rounder too. I'll have to download it on my W8 system and try a Mov file.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have you had a look at Codec information for Audio? (open vlc, stop the vid from playing and rightclick on the .mov file in the list and choose 'Information')

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic , already tried, no repair option supplied. Don't know why this is happening. Changed cameras from Samsung to Panasonic. Both might use the same format for a camera?

Thanks for your replies, Woolwell and lotvic. One thing I haven't tried is to format the SDHC card within the camera. It still holds images from the Samsung.

I'll backup all, again, and see what happens once I format the card within the Panasonic camera.

Many thanks.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Dave, - could also have a look at 'Messages' on Tools tab while .mov is playing click here might give some clues as to problem.

I've been int' shed. Mmm homebrew...

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic, glad you're .. umm.. 'happy'. No jealousy here at all. Just back from spending the national deficit in Dibych-Y-Pysgod. :(

Have a look at this, vid and audio codec for a particular home vid on hols.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow