We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ukash scam problems again

aitch2

Likes # 0

Over last weekend I picked up the Police scam (Ukash). Have done searches (PCA & Google etc) and have used Kaspersky and IMBurn following the links and guide as previous PCA advice. I can enter the Bios to change the boot order to CD & although I have tried the various options (Safe Mode/ Command prompt/ Bootable CD) etc. when I restart the computer, it goes into Windows and starts, and therefore it won't boot from the Kaspersky rescue disc. Am I missing a step or is something else needs doing. The laptop runs WinXP, AVG Free, & Malwarbytes is already installed. Any further options as to where to go from here? Thanks

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

After you change the boot order, are you clicking F10 to save and exit? If so, it should boot from the CD (assuming it's in the drive before the reboot).

Like this post
aitch2

Likes # 0

Yes, I am pressing F10, and the rescue disc is in the drive.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

With some bios/cmos' you have to 'press any key to boot from CD' at the end of the post screen. There is usually a very brief message to tell you this and it is easy to miss. I usually start repeatedly tapping the space bar when Post is about finished.

Like this post
aitch2

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. So pressed the F10, disc was in and then pressed the spacebar as per your method. Next screen to come up was a "Hardware profile/Configuration Recovery Menu", but only showing the Acer-System choice. Option there to use up and down arrows to choose, but as Acer-System was the only option showing and highlighted I chose that. That action brought up the Checkdisc screen (for the umpteenth time as I have tried other previous method.)which as windows started to load returned me to the Ukash message. I appear to be going around in circles.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you are using XP try Tapping on F5 at start up and see if it gives you options of what device to use at start up If so choose DVD or CD and also make sure that you have the kaspersky recovery DVD in the drive and when it reboots it should run the DVD.

You need internet access to run it as it has to update first.If no internet access it would be a waste of time running it.

Now I did that on my son's 7 year old computer and the kaspersky dvd started but would not update.

Like this post
aitch2

Likes # 0

Thanks, tried F5 and it came up with the Windows advanced Options Menu screen, giving the same choices as Safe Mode/Command Prompt/ Networking etc. but no option to boot from cd. I'm on wifi with the problematic laptop so I tried "Safe working with networking". That brought me back to the Acer-System screen, which locks on to Drivers list screen and finally shuts downBeen there, done it, tee-short etc.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Easy way to fix this is to temporarily remove the hard drive and fit it into a usb enclosure then connect it to another PC which has Malwarebytes installed and updated then from explorer right click on the infected drive and choose scan with Malwarebytes from the options, wait until it finishes then choose the remove infections option to delete the infected files (this process can take quite a long time depending on the drive capacity) just have patience it will eventually tell you when it is clean then if you fit the drive back into the PC it came from it should boot up normally with no sign of this infection

Cheers HC

Like this post
aitch2

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply. Have been slowly thinking that this might be the way to go & was hoping I might have got a resolve before it came down to this. I have been chasing this for the last several hours and I'm getting a little frazzled, so I think a cold beer is in order and have a go tomorrow. Beats getting sunburn!

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

You may have to enable the cd rom in bios ,as well as boot order . I usually use the optimized settings option , this may well cure your non booting cdrom .

Like this post
aitch2

Likes # 0

NickF: Had tried the boot from CD-Rom and the Bios, but no success with either. In the end a chance conversation with a mate of mine suggested our local independent (one-man-band)computer shop. Enough to say problem is now solved, dropped it of on Monday, & picked it up on Tues a/m. So £25 lighter, but more than pleased and machine is clean as a whistle. Appears a bit faster to! So I still had the beers, still got some hair left, but didn't need the tranquilisers. Thanks to all who contributed. Much appreciated

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow