We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Preserving writing on closing website

Laurence WM

Likes # 0

I have a lot of writing on a website, run by a friend, that is closing down. What, please, is the best way to preserve my writing, preferably to transfer it to somewhere else on the web (without having to pay)?

Thanks very much indeed, Laurence

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I presume you have the original files? If not then copy them to your computer. Then open a blog at Wordpress or start your own website and put them on there.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 1

If you are not sure, then I suggest you put "transferring contents from websites" into a Google search box, and that will show various ways of doing the job you are seeking to do.

There are a number of references to YouTube video tutorials, but for some reason my Abode FlashPlayer doesn't seem to want to work on some YouTube video's, so I am unable to provide direct links. Just give it a try yourself?.

Like this post
Laurence WM

Likes # 0

Wiz-king,

Thanks. I don't have word files as I wrote directly on to site. I could just copy and paste everything from the site on to a blog, yes. This would take ages, though. I am hoping for a quicker and neater way.

Cheers, Laurence

Like this post
Laurence WM

Likes # 0

Spuds,

Thanks a lot. Plenty of advice here to research.

If any reader's got any tips from personal experience I'd be interested to hear.

Cheers, Laurence

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 2

To make a copy of a webpage to keep on the harddrive of your pc you could (this is using Firefox browser) click on 'File', 'Save Page As', and choose save as 'Web Page Complete'

You would have to save each page that you wanted a copy of but having a copies of the pages would give you time to sort out the blog to paste content into or whatever you eventually decide on.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I would only add one difference to the strategy that lotvic has suggested.

If you scroll down the 'Options' to the last one, you are able to save as a 'Text File'. This would allow you to easily Edit-Out all the other dross when the time came to do so.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

wee eddie, I wouldn't advise that... try it and see what you end up with 8-O

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK