We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It's Baffling me - boot up (new) PC ok but nothing on monitor, no power either?

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi I'm rather baffled and certainly very curious regarding this situation.

On behalf of a friend, I have got her newly delivered (refurbished etc) PC from Dell. We've unpacked it carefully, plugged it in to a spare monitor, booted it up - absolutely nothing on the monitor, including no power.

So, tried it using my main monitor and exactly the same thing happens.

Obviously, I'll be calling Dell tomorrow but I can't understand it. I can understand there maybe no output from the port, but why would the power be absent as well?

As I said, I'm curious as it just doesn't seem to have any logic and I'd be interested to learn what might be the situation.

Thanks for any suggestions re the cause. As I said, I'll be contacting Dell so I suspect it may have to be replaced.

Thanks

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Just to add, PC has Win 8 loaded (or should have) I also tried different monitor cables, power cables, in addition to two monitors. Cheers

Like this post
Siberian Winter

Likes # 0

Did you use the same power cable both times? If so it is possible that the fuse in the plug has blown. It's easy enough to check it. Also check with something else plugged into the socket (a lamp maybe) to make sure the socket is OK. If two monitors have no power it suggests the problem is in the power supply rather than the monitors themselves.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks SW Yes, I tried two different power cables, including the cable that is running the machine I'm using now.

It has to be something in the Dell machine, I think, as that is the only common denominator. I am just interested as to what would cause both no output AND no power to the monitor, when all works well on my main machine. It really does baffle me.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

I'd go with it the PSU?Open it up to check that it's connected properly.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks hiwatt I'm tempted to open it up but as it was only delivered today, and under warranty, I'd rather check with Dell tomorrow first. Hopefully, they will then give me the ok to open it to check bits but I suspect they will offer to replace it.

As I said, I'm just curious as to what would cause this issue.

Thanks again

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Does the computer actually work is there any lights on it at all.Or is it just the monitor that does not work.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Daft question but did you press the power button on the back of the computer to switch it on.

I only ask as I have taken my tower out to clean it and assembled it again and got no power at all from it.Took a while for me to realise that I had forgot to switch it back on.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Is the monitor power connection via the PC or directly from its own socket. If it is via the PC then try it direct from the mains.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi I've only just found your latest posts - I didn't get any notifications for some reason.

Anyway, problems solved today. I re-plugged PC and (old) monitor in and, for some reason, all came on. However, the old monitor needed resolution changing but the screen was flashing all over so that wasn't possible.

So, tried it with my (main) monitor but although PC fired up, the monitor had no power, just like last evening.

Then, it dawned on me! I wondered if there had to be a simple explanation - and there is!!! I had forgotten that my PC, monitor and other bits are all plugged into a particular computer extension bank which, yes, turns all devices/bits OFF when the PC powers down!!! So, I've temporarily plugged the monitor in to a separate socket, just while I set up my fried's new PC.

So, I'm feeling a total idiot now ;) My apologies to you all but I had to come clean, eh?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions Cheers

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Happens to most of us from time to time!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED