We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

dell 1525 freezes,and after format

shauny36

Likes # 0

my laptop was freezing at different points so put it back to factory settings then started it up and it froze again. it freezes while loading and even when browsing after 20 mins or so. has got 2 rams in so took 1 out and rebooted then froze again, so swaped the other ram over and it done the same.

what does that leave to check.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Hard drive on the way out maybe.

Try in safe mode by tapping F5 or F8 as the laptop starts and see if it will work on there.

Like this post
shauny36

Likes # 0

still freezes in safe mode aswell

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try device manager if you can and see if any yellow exclamation marks in there as it could be a driver problem.

or try sfc /scannow in command prompt right click it and run as administrator.

Check out how much space you have left on your hard drive.

Could be overheating in this weather I suppose but cannot comment on how to clean it as I have never had a laptop before.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As above its overheating, due partly to the Sun. But may also be getting blocked up with muck. only way to clear it, it need dismantling, not for the fainthearted

PS using on carpets and soft furnishings makes if worse, and Smoking is the worst thing for it

Like this post
shauny36

Likes # 0

update. havetried swapping the memory 1 at a time still freezes then tried a different hdd stll the same. even when the laptop has been on about 10-20 mins still does it so dont think its over heating as is als cool. used vista on one hdd and win 7 on the other still the same.seems to freeze more when i am browsing. am stuck now.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

As suggested by Woodchip and Jock!e, over heating is a likely cause of this sort of problem. Not the whole thing getting too hot just the CPU so the case could still be cool. We don't know your setup as very little info but if you have the facility check CPU temp.

Like this post
shauny36

Likes # 0

so would it be a good idea to re seat with some new thermal paste.

thanks

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

reseat what? with paste.

As I said as its a Laptop only thing you can do is take it in bits making a note of where all screws go, take photos also. and clean the cpu heatsink.

short term you could try using it on a laptop cooler with about 3 fans in it

Like this post
shauny36

Likes # 0

used thermal paste on the cpu but still the same.have cleaned out the heatsink, still the same. the laptop can be on for a day solid and work most of the time then other times within minutes. seems to be more stable when been on for a while and worse when just switched on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...