We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

extend wifi range or use powerlink

NORFOLK SPARKY
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi I want to extend the wifi range at the church I attend. What do members think would be the easiest & best way to do it. Use a wifi repeater or use powerline adaptors. We may need to stream vidio but are unlikly to need to down load large files except for security back ups

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Some advice posted by the FE a day or two back here. depends really on where the router is a t the moment. Perhaps you could post back with more info?

Like this post
NORFOLK SPARKY

Likes # 0

the router is in the office, the computer I want to link is about 20mts to 30mts away through 3brick walls totaling about500mm of brick. seems it might be best to try moving the router or use powerlink

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I have messed around with these devices with varying success, at the end of the day hardwire is the only decent solution unless in your case it not viable.

Like this post
NORFOLK SPARKY

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice. Think I will try moving rooter or go for the powerlink. Very difficult to hard wire neatly

Like this post  
wee eddie

Likes # 0

By Powerlink - Do you mean Homeplug?

If so, that's the way to go

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Norfolk Sparky, moving the router is the first thing to try, if it works nice easy result, hope it does.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Have a close read of the link provided by onthelimit1.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Powerlink could well be the way to go but you will need to check that the room with the computer is on the same power supply. Churches are often on 3 phase supply so it is important to check. Moving the router is probably not an option as it may well need to be near the telephone socket. I wouldn't try video without cables in your situation.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

"Moving the router is probably not an option as it may well need to be near the telephone socket."

Worth a try I would have thought, use an extension lead,if you can take out even one of the 500mm walls it might just work.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...