We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice on compnents - New Build Computer

fiatlux

Likes # 0

Hi,

I was hoping some could give some advice (compatibility etc.) on the following components below.

The computer will be running Windows 8 Pro 64bit (primarily in Desktop mode). It is my main computer, within the house, used for accessing the home server (located on a NAS device), and creating back-ups. I use it heavily for MS Office (word, excel and powerpoint), internet/email, I am self-learning HTML, .ASP etc, and I also decode and encode DVD's (very slowly at the moment).

The machine may be a little 'overkill', but I have the money and the machine will be used for the next 3-4 years. Also I have a little of the 'boy racer' in me :-). All the 'bits' are available via dabs.com.

Many Thanks Adrian

Motherboard/CPU/RAM

Storage

• 1st HDD = Sandisk 128GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive, used for OS and Apps,
  • 2nd HDD = [Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive]6, used for data - I have plenty of other HD storage.
  • 3rd HDD = [Pioneer VR-220BK 24x Int SATA DVDRW Black OEM w/o Label Flash]7

Graphics

Audio

• Happy with the on-board sound - a fancy card will not my c**p music sound any better,

Case

• Case = [Best Value 999 Modded Case with USB 3.0 & Fan Control Red Fans]9,
  • PSU = [Best Value Pulse 650W 120mm Silent Red Fan SATA PFC PSU]10
Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You really do not need an ATX motherboard so I would drop one size to a M-atx.

This is a far better case.Fractal Design Core 1000

The PSU is probably the most important component in the PC and buying cheap is not recommended.

Even though you are not into gaming your choice of GPU is pretty basic and I would suggest something a little better.

Unless you are going to be overclocking your CPU then I feel you cooler is a little over the top, don't get me wrong,excellent cooler,just not really needed with your set up unless you are overclocking.

Like this post
fiatlux

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd , thanks for the reply. I will have another look-around. I got a little confused/befuddled with the Graphics card, the last PC I built (the 3rd) was about 4-5yrs ago.

Thanks Adrian

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Adrian

If you could post your budget I would be happy to knock up a spec or two.

Like this post
fiatlux

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd : £450-£500. I have upped the graphics card from HD 5450 to HD 6450 for extra £10. I have dropped for the moment the 1TB HDD. The current MoBo is USB 3, which I want and Sata 600.

Many Thanks Adrian

Like this post
fiatlux

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd - Just been thinking - make it £550 max ;-)

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

OK, will post back tomorrow.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

First one and this is a M-ITX build which is smaller again than my earlier suggestion of a M-ATX.

I have one of these cases and they are very quiet even though they have, if memory serves,three fans in there.Mini-itx size and a stand-alone graphics card will easily do 1080p

This comes to around £504 but you will need to factor in delivery costs.

I will do a M-ATX build later.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Slight light larger motherboard ETC. M-ATX. This is a pretty decent build and well within your budget with delivery.

Obviously my specs are merely suggestions but will give you a rough idea of what you can get for your cash.

Like this post
fiatlux

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd , thanks very much for the suggestions. The second came up with an empty basket, the first certainly looks interesting.

Many thanks Adrian

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry about that link,try this.

M-ATX

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?