We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD Drive Unusable for music or dvds.

diesel1948

Likes # 0

I am running a dell dimension 9200 on windows7 ultimate. I don't put DVDS in very often. The other day I did and it did not play. I then tried a music disc and that never worked. Could this be something that I have done or is it just the player gone bump. Any advice on how to check this out please. Terry.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
diesel1948

Likes # 0

Regret to say Dave it did not work.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Replacement DVD Drives are available for £20 or less and are simple to replace

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Here's how: - Instructions and a Video There are many more on YouTube

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Another thing to try is to open Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM, right click the drive and select uninstall. Click yes to the warning. At the top then click the Action tab and select 'Scan for hardware changes'. Close Device Manager when completed. Try the drive now.

Like this post
diesel1948

Likes # 0

That did not resolve the problem Dave, I also found when I put camera sd card in to slot it did nothing also. but when I connected card to a little integral usb key and put it into usb slot the pictures downloaded to computer. Could this be linked? By the way when disc gets put into dvd drive it makes noise like juddering. Also nothing comes up on screen, like choices. Thanks for info on Eddie on new drive, I think that may be next move.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Does the drive read a data disc? If not then it is probably time to replace it.

Like this post
diesel1948

Likes # 0

No John it does not read anything.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...