We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Improving wi-fi coverage over 35 meters

BobHelm

Likes # 0

I live in North East Thailand. In a small L shaped apartment block. The wi-fi router is at the very top of the L, my apartment is at the right angle join of the letter. The distance is about 35 meters. The connection through my lap top is OK. The connection to my desk top is worse. To tablets/phones it is poor at best. I would like to improve the connection.
Is another router directly connected to the first the answer? Is a LAN connected through the apartment wiring system an option?

I believe that I am reasonably intelligent & have a fair understanding of technology. I am not an electronics engineer though & have little understanding of jargon. So replies bearing that in mind would be much appreciated..

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

To save me typing a long, involved response I suggest that you take a look at this

and then come back to this thread for further advice if you need it.

Like this post
BobHelm

Likes # 0

Thank you. That was excellent.
Answered all my questions & some I hadn't even thought of. Looks like I will be buying a new router & going with a direct connection via the Ethernet ports. The topic How To Use an Old Router to Expand Your Wi-Fi Network click here the link you gave answers the worries I had about how to set the second router up as a 'slave' to the first. Will be giving it a go over the next week, so may be coming back for extra help then!! Thanks again..

From

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014