We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

All in one and software for Uni

john bunyan

Likes # 0

My granddaughter is going to Uni in September. She has a good laptop and a tablet. I am buying her a Multi purpose wireless printer / scanner - probably a Canon. She has Adobe Photoshop Elements 10, and Office 2007. Two points: 1. To save ink costs is it worth having a cheap mono printer as well? 2. You can scan using Photoshop to make .psd files. Can anyone suggest other software she may need ( She has MSE, Malawarebytes, Superantispyware , ATI etc) . She will be reading History so will use Word for essays etc as she did with her IB extended essay.She also has allthe usual iTunes etc. I am making arrangements with a local "expert" who could remotely repair software etc should she run into trouble, and I am trying to get her to use Acronis to back up to a external drive more frequently than at present.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'd be inclined to use the free version of Avast or AVG than MSE, but that is my preference. Avast seems to be quick at blocking bad sites if redirected. Works well with the pro version of malwarebytes which also jumps in to block unwanted sites.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Software to read pdf files.

Uni's put their resources online and she will therefore be using the internet quite a lot.

Students can usually use the university's printers when they are logged in to their account so I don't see the need for a separate printer.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Printing using the uni's printers is obviously done with the laptop at uni. Does she have a robust carry case?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I gather that my info is slightly out as the student's have to pay to print but that is what most do. I also gather that is fairly usual for a laptop to be taken along to a tutorial and the work read on screen.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Alarm clock - uni networks are slow during the daytime peak use. grin

Is she going to be in residence or in digs? If in digs she will need to make sure it has a good fast internet to share. She will also need a multi-way socket strip to plug it all in and a selection of cat 5 and usb A-B leads as printers etc don't come with them - I know the frustration of having a nice shiny new printer and not being able to connect it by wireless and having no cable to hardwire it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Another thought, a flash drive (encrypted), for those times you need to carry work without having to lug a tablet/laptop.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Avast Pro for 3 computers which will cover yourself your granddaughter and one other family member for £24.99

Click here

Also Emisoft anti Malware for 3 computers for £15.95.

Click here

£41 well spent. If using this company make sure that you get your email correct as they send you the keycodes by post.

Now the hardest part of giving them security programs is getting them to run them.They thing it does it automatically.

Another £20 for Acronis if you are feeling generous.

Click here

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice so far. She has a carrying case for the laptop, but recently has used a 7" Samsung tablet with a docked keyboard, for portability at lectures and for note taking etc, then uese drop box or plugs it in to laptop for final use in word, as the Samsung word processor is compatible.

Re printing, I just thought it handy to have one's own for "home" (Hall) use. Yes, an encrypted flash drive is a good idea. She will be in Hall for first year then in digs (UCL)

I will look at the options all have kindly suggested and come back with a cunning plan. Any views on personal insurance, as London can have security issues.

Jock 1e Thanks for software thoughts. She has ATI but I am quite happy to have pro versions of anti virus and Malawarebytes if folk think they are worth it. As you say, the problem is ensuring discipline on back up and scanning.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

john bunyan

[a cunning plan]

Are you after a Knighthood as well.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Beware of Another a flash drive (encrypted).

Niece was at and still is I suppose at Southamton University and kept all her main work for her exams on her flash drive till it went belly up a few days before the exams.

There must be a safer way to save their work nowadays if so that would be a better way to go.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing