We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Gadgets Not Safe?

RegScriv

Likes # 0

It is reported that Microsoft issued an update in July 2012 to remove the gadget/sidebar from Windows 7 because it is unsafe. Can anyone advise on this. I did not receive the update and gadgets remained on my system

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

the only article I can find is this one from June 2012 so unless you can link to a more recent one I would suggest that whatever problem there was in 2012 has been resolved or patched.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

This one also for 2012 but updated to July2013.

click here

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

The article was in the last issue of Computeractive, or maybe the one before that and was by one of the Computeractive team. I have saved a pdf of the article but can't attached to this response. Your view is that Gadgets is safe then

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

When I had 7 I stopped using third party gadgets. Some of the downloads had become 'iffy' with extra being downloaded with them. The default ones should be OK though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous