We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

trouble removing old programmes in windows

yellowarmy

Likes # 0

I was round a friends and his vista desktop is very slow due to having so many programmes he has downloaded and keep popping up. I tried the remove programmes in windows but some wont uninstall. Is there a really good free programme out there that will clear junk from a computer please?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Revo Uninstaller5 will do the job, but it sounds to me that there is rather more involved, so, first try CCleaner and then Malwarebytes.

Use CCleaner's Clean-up function to tidy up the Hard Drive first, then the Software Removal Tool and finally the Registry Cleaner. I would re-boot between each of these runs but it's not necessary.

Should there be any Programs, not removed by CCleaner, then try Revo. However if any of those Programs are of the Antivirus type, then you will have to visit the Program's Home Site to obtain the Uninstaller. There should be only 1 Antivirus Program loaded and Active on the PC at any time

Finally a Defrag would be appropriate.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data