We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need advice on upgrading my PC for gaming

LemonPen

Likes # 0

Okay so, first of all, just so that you're aware, I am pretty much Crocodile Dundee when it comes to computers...

Okay, so here's an image of my current PC specs: click here well, I want to be able to play my current games on high settings, like Skyrim. I can play it on low/medium settings right now. But I would like to be able to record it with Fraps on high settings...

I also want to be able to play games that are coming out soon, like Grand Theft Auto 5 (even though a PC relase hasn't been announced yet, lol) The Crew, Watchdogs, ect. They all look really demanding though..

My dad said it's the graphics card that needs upgrading, and he said this would be a good one to get: click here (sorry, not sure if i'm allowed to post links here) But he said he wasn't sure if it would work on my PC, because it's Bus Type is PCI express 3.0... I have no idea what that means, lol

But yes, any suggestions on what parts to get or anything, I don't mind too much about the price, as long as it's reasonable...

If you need any more info on the parts I have now, just ask.

And

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

This is the spec of your motherboard. It supports PCI Express x16, so no problem there. So far as the GTX640 that your dad has recommended - it's a good card, better than your present one and will allow you to play at higher frame rates/resolutions. However, to get what you're looking for - including FRAPS recording - I think you may have to spend around twice as much. If you go that route, you may find that you need to upgrade your power supply. Your CPU is pretty good, but may also be a limiting factor.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I don't mind too much about the price, as long as it's reasonable...

We all have our own interpretation of reasonable.I consider £350 for a graphics card reasonable , others might not not, so posting an overall budget will always make suggestions for upgrades a whole lot easier.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Chronos: £350 for a graphics card is NOT reasonable... ;-)

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton

What is a reasonable spend depends entirely on one's own budget and priorities.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

MM: that was a joke... Hence the wink at the end. D'oh...

Like this post
LemonPen

Likes # 0

£150 to £200.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Can you post the wattage of your PSU it might be necessary to upgrade that along with your GPU. You will be able to find the wattage on the label on your PSU.

Whereas the GTX 640 is not a bad card it is not a great gaming card so you should be looking for something a little higher up the GPU chain.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made