We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

network cable definition/type help

pookie

Likes # 0

Good evening,

Windows 7 and BT Infinity with their modem and Home Hub 3. I have modem connected to master socket, cat 5e cable from modem to HH3 and cat 5e cable from HH3 to homeplug. Then upstairs cat 5e cable from homeplug to main pc. All works fine.

My cat 5e cables are all 2m or longer but I want to tidy the cabling up by buying some cat 6 1m cables. I don't need to change the modem to master socket cable. But what are the cat 6 cables called? I have seen sites selling cat 6, cat 6 patch, cat 6 ethernet, cat 6 rj45 and cat 6 rj11. I have seen shielded and unshielded?

Thank you

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I find this site very helpful when seeking information about broadband etc click here be warned, it can be very time consuming, due to the nature of the website.

But

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I don't know what is the problem, but every time I put a link, the first letter after the link seems to bounce to the bottom of the page?.

'But' should be after click here, which was originally a full link instead of click here?.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Cat 6 patch is to link 2 PCs together using their ethernet ports (the wiring swaps round between the two plugs). Cat 6 ethernet is the standard connector which uses RJ45 plugs.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Testing Links

click here That should be full url address pasted straight in

Using Globe enter link description here and pasting url into popup box

Typing a sentence and pasting url click here in middle of sentence

Highlighting these three words and then clicking on globe and pasting url in popup box

It all looks in order in the preview box, so will see how it looks after posting.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

All the links look okay hear, no problems with any including spuds

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

RJ = Registered Jack (the plug at the end of cable or the socket it plugs into)

the numbers (eg: 11, 45) indicate which wires inside the cable are connected and the size of the socket (You will find an RJ45 end is too big to fit in a RJ11 socket)

RJ11 is used for telephones Voice etc

RJ45 is used for Data networking (ethernet). These are on back of Router LAN ports.

The cable:

Cat = category (and the number indicates the speed data can travel down the wires)

Cat 5e = the 'e' means enhanced and minimises interference on the line.

How fast can the Data can travel through the cable? Note that overall speed of Data transfer can only be as fast as the slowest length of cable between equipment. For the internet that's between you and the ISP (to the telephone exchange) therefore Cat 5e ethernet (RJ45 connectors) is the usual to use inside homes. Cat 6 is regarded as being used for heavy duty industrial speeds and can carry data faster and over greater distance.

Also found howtogeek.com/70494/what-kind-of-ethernet-cat-5e6a-cable-should-i-use/ which should help and has pics and explains shielding.

and click here For quick reference, here are the ratings of the various category cables:

Cat 5 up to 100MHz

Cat 5e up to 350MHz

Cat 6 up to 550MHz

(there's more about the differences on link)

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Use cat 6.

As lotvic correctly says, it won't influence the Internet data speed, but it could influence computer to computer speed and as most modern computers are fitted with 1 Gb interfaces, cat 6 is preferable. It will also future proof to some degree your network.

Patch cables are "straight through" cables - in other words, each terminal connection is the same both ends.

Crossover cables have two strands of the cable switched over and are used to connect device to device, although many modern devices will now auto-sense which cable you are using and adapt accordingly.

You already have a thorough explanation of what RJ45 and RJ11 means.

Shielding is generally used where there is a possibility of radio frequency (RF) interference and is particularly needed when running cables close to florescent lighting or AC cables. Though that is not the only source by any means.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Lastchip.

Well done - you spotted my deliberate mistake. Must be withdrawal symptoms from an alcohol free week!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)