We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Email rejected too many rbls

hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Hi

Just had my email to the Town Council returned, and got this msg:

host govgate1.tstechnology.net [137.191.227.11]: 554 5.7.1 : Recipient address rejected: [RBL03] your ip 83.169.32.229 is listed on too many RBLs I havent a clue what that means, never saw anything like it before. What do I do?

thanks

h

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Your IP address has been emailing the council too many times. This may happen if you have not got a fixed address and it has been used by another user to send spam.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

This may shed some light - and a potential (if unwieldy) solution.

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

thanks!

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Sorry Im useless at this and dont understand the solution at all. Just after, I had cause to email the local radio station and this came back:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected] SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:: host mx-b.umss.ie 92.51.242.154]: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [83.169.32.229] blocked using bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see [click here a lot more, at least a page. I really havent got a clue and dont know what to do! My email accounts are @iol.ie which was Ireland On-Line; they were free, but offer no support at all. Help!

h

Theres

Like this post
TV-Repairman

Likes # 0

Here click here on the [Blacklist check] button. When that's done, click on the Spamcop link and read that page.

You will need to contact your own ISP to ask them to resolve the problem.

Click

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

hawthorn59, I've spotted something that doesn't look right at all and that's your IP address mentioned in the messages you've received. Your IP address of 83.169.32.229 has a reverse-DNS lookup of thor.dnshotel.com which isn't the type of address a regular home user would get from their Internet provider and makes me suspicious.

If you'd like more help with this then answer these questions:

Who is your Internet provider?

Would you class yourself as a regular home user?

How do you connect to the Internet - is it via a router?

Do you use an e-mail program (such as Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail) or do you manage your e-mails via a web browser (such as Internet Explorer)?

To the best of your knowledge, do you connect to the Internet via a proxy server or some other service that hides your true IP address?

When did this all start?

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Hi and thanks people!

Secret Squirrel

Yes I saw thor.dnshotel.com but was clueless about it! To answer your questions:

Internet provider is a company called wireless connect. They have erected transmitters on hills around the midlands of Ireland, thereby bringing broadband to areas that would never get it.

Yes regular home user. Maybe up to 3-4 hours some days.

Yes I connect via a router.

For email I have been using Windows Live Mail; but about 3 days ago I signed up for Hotmail ( @outlook.com) just to have a portable email setup.

I dont know how I connect, but I myself havent set up anything to hide my IP address.

It all started just 2/3 days ago.....connection with my new hotmail account???

thanks

h

Actually just remembered I a musing my nephews mobile broadband dongle, to compare with my own service. The IP for that is Vodafone. Should I try switching back to my own, and resending the emails?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the info so far.

From what you've said it does sound like perhaps your Internet traffic is being routed via a proxy server and that's why e-mails you send are being stamped with that weird IP address.

Before I offer some practical advice, one last question, which version of Windows are you running?

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Windows 7.
I changed back to my regular ISP, thought maybe Vodafone was the problem but its still the same.

Should probably mention, the Vodafone dongle actually belongs to my nephews company, he has use of it. Funny enough they are a security company! Also he is fairly advanced in their security/IT programming dept. I should rack his brains a bit, if I could get him on the phone!

thanks again

h

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

This is ticked as resolved. Could be a mistake.

If not resolved then you could try this and let us know the results.

Go to All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt.

At the prompt type (ipconfig /release) without the brackets then press enter. At the end of the script at the prompt type (ipconfig /renew) no brackets again then enter. Note the space between config and the forward slash. What now shows as your ip address.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia