We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do I Need A Server On My Home Network?

Harper Boy
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a BT Home Hub to which I connect my desktop PC by Ethernet; I also connect (wirelessly) 3 laptops, my iPad, and a printer. I have never configured this mixture of kit as a true 'network', even Peer to Peer, as I have been put off by the apparent complexity. (I have burned my fingers in the past by trying to configure networking hardware and software that just created new problems in what was previously a working system). I do have a 2TB NAS drive attached to the BT Home Hub, but have so far only ever used it to back up files from the desktop PC.

Two separate problems here. The first is whether to take the plunge and try to get some sort of file-exchange capability going. I would like to send files from one computer to another, and to back up to the NAS from any computer. Is it useful enough to convince me to take the plunge? If it is, can anyone recommend a 'noddy's guide' that makes this obvious/foolproof? (Everything but the iPad is running Win 7).

Yes, I'm really that weedy! But a more serious question concerns the desktop. It has i3-2100, 8GB, Win 7, and 2 x 500GB Hard Drives. It's getting long in the tooth and I am considering buying a replacement, but before I give it to Oxfam I'd like an opinion on whether it would be to my advantage to re-use it somehow, to improve my network? (I've used the term 'Server' in the title but I don't claim to fully understand what that entails). Or is it overkill for such a small network (never more than 2 simultaneous users).

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

It really is quite easy with W7 MS article. Not sure about adding the iPad though.

1]: [click here

Like this post  
Harper Boy

Likes # 0

Thanks, onthelimit1, that is sooo helpful. I suppose I should have known Microsft would have produced something like this; at first glance it certainly appears to be exactly what I need.

Now to try deciding whether to send my old desktop PC to the knackers' yard . . or make it go on working for a living.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015