We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Powerline-adapters interference problem with summer house ?

keenly

Likes # 0

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I would like to find out if anyone could shed some light on my current problem.

My father-in-law has just recently build summer-house and wanted to have it all set-up with smart TV surround sound etc. We used power-line adapters and the adapter in summerhouse is a wifi/ethernet port adapter. They all using the powerline standards and are compatible and were working fine 30mbs connection speed until SmartTv, Fridge and surround sound installed. I can only think it is one of these things causing the problem. Maybe it's just too much on the same powercable, thats been split from one outlet in garrage to summer-house which is split to 3 outlets, LED strip lighting, TV. I haven't tested them all yet with power off but is there something else that would cause interference?

I read somewhere that someone had similar problem and had to use surge protector but it says in manual that a surge protector isn't required. Maybe the Tv is the problem, it's wired up onto the same line he's not using a fused outlet he's chopped plug off and wired it up externally to save messy wires lying around but thinking about it that's dangerous for the tv right incase there is a surge? however main problem theres the loss of connection since everythings been installed, gone from 30mbs to 100kbs

Many thanks, Adam

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

LED lighting is well known to cause problems. Your wifi adaptor need to go on a socket nearest to the incoming mains from the house, then try the TV with everything else disconnected, then add one item at a time until you get the problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July