We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Infected with spyware or adware?

KevsPC

Likes # 0

Im running Windows xp. Im infected with spyware/adware. The computer runs fine when gaming, its as soon as i go to view web pages. One pop up keeps telling me Java is out of date. I dont click on that link but go to the Java page and try to download the latest version. It then trys but then tells me i have the latest version. Ive tried various spyware removal tools/programmes and they all say theyve found several hundred 'problems'. When i click to 'fix it now' it wants money! Im sceptical that these are also just adware programmes? Ive run my advanced Norton clean [the part where it says it may delete some programmes as its a deep clean-sorry cant remember what its called] and it found no issues, yet as soon as i go online, the pc slows to a snails pace and every page is proceeded by several pop up ads which i have to remove [some keep popping straight back up and take some removing] before i can access the page i want. Im using Google Chrome and i think it may be that its infected? Ive removed it once, and then regretted it as it took hours to get it reinstalled as the computer ran even slower while trying to load it and crashed several times, so im not keen on removing Chrome again. If someone can recommend a decent programme that will check everything and remove this malicious spyware/adware, that would be great! Preferably free, but also i'll pay a reasonable amount. One other issue which has also only just started happening since my problem, its my Windows Security Alert. Every time i log on it tells me i have no internet security, yet im running Norton and Norton seems to be running fine. Im also baffled by this! Thanks for any help/suggestion 8-] P.S. I dont understand computer speech/jargon. Im not very technical.....Thanks!

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Hi

Apologies for the slow response, I work a night shift.

Control Panel Add or remove programs At the top of this box there is a small tick box "Show Updates" Allow a second or two then scroll down looking for internet explorer. And I discover XP won't let you uninstall IE8. (W7 does, and that's how I cured this issue on W7 PC) If you updated to a newer version of IE you should be able to uninstall the update and rollback to IE8. This will preserve your favourites and return your home page to the previous choice.

Well spotted on the date issue - look for any thing else installed the same day and un install it.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

I just noticed your note about Norton expiring soon and what alternatives are available. There is no need to pay for security programs as there lots of good free programs that will keep your PC safe.

If you give up Norton, in addition to Malwarebytes and SpywareBlaster you will need an antivirus and firewall. There are many good free antivirus programs, the one I use is AVG from click here There are others which also work well like Antivir and Avast, but only download and use one. You will also need a firewall like Zonealarm click here or others such as Comodo or Sygate. All the alternatives can be found and downloaded from click here

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Remember to clear all your "Restore" Points as malware can be restored!

It might be worthwhile using CCleaner to delete the spare/unused Tool Bars, Programs and other Software that you do not use. Afterwards use the registry Cleaner to clear away their dross

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing