We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with boot-up after shut-down?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

A couple of years ago I had a problem with XP Home and problems after shut-down, with the results on boot-up the next time things became very unreliable, which eventually after many experiments ended up with a complete reformat.

That fault seems to have perhaps returned, because while the computer seems to work as normal, on shut-down an error message appears, but its that rapid, that its unreadable.

The next time I re-boot the computer, things do not appear normal and very slow. I have found that I might need to re-boot more than once.

Checking with CCleaner registry, it seems to come up with the same 'fixable' problem. A 'Missing MUI Reference' which seems to refer that there is something amiss with Avast and Microsoft Shell MUI Cache.

Can anyone put any light to this, and whether there is a solution of correcting the problem, before things might get any worse?.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Windows extracts the application name from the version resource of the exe file used to install a program and stores it for using it later, in Registry key known as the 'MuiCache'.

Try reinstalling Avast as a problem with avast( or any other AV) can really slow a machine

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat, thanks for the response.

About an hour ago I decided to try Advanced System Care 6.3, an programme that I recently upgraded. Ran all the scans and test's, then Fix (apparently many problems?).

Rechecking with CCleaner, which is a normal procedure for me, after tweaking. The MUI Avast warning is no longer displayed, but two further MUI warnings came up on the listings. I haven't taken particulars of these last two, but got CCleaner to Fix.

I will now see what happens, when I shut-down later this evening or early tomorrow morning and re-boot later tomorrow. So far everything seems to be running fine and normal!.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I mentioned that I would see what happens, and I have done just that.

It looks like its going to be another one of those 'odd' computer mysteries that seem to happen on occasions.

On shut-down Friday, another error message appeared stating something to do with "The memory couldn't be written".

Going through the usual cycles using CCleaner for checking registry faults, and ticking 'Fix', all now seems to have returned to normal and appears to be working fine.

At one point, I did consider using a restore, but decided against this, as this would not have provided any indication to the problem I was having, and possibly had had in the past?.

Will tick as resolved. Thanks again Fruit Bat for your input on this thread.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks