We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 Freezes On Startup

Legslip

Likes # 0

This one is driving me nuts!

More often than not Win 7 freezes during the boot process. It always loads OK in Safe Mode.

I have replaced the PSU, CMOS battery, the SATA cables and loaded windows 7 onto a new reformatted HD.

Never known it but can a Mboard cause this? Can't think what else it can be.

It is a Fujitsu Esprimo 1500

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Win 7 freezes during the boot process. It always loads OK in Safe Mode.

Would suggest a driver problem

Start by updating graphics driver

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat. Will give it a whirl and I have also replaced the RAM.

Will advise.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Morning Fbat. Uploaded latest Nvidia drivers last night and left it downloading a lot of Win 7 updates overnight. checked again this morning and PC was frozen. Powered off/on and tried to get into Safe Mode but it froze as it was listing the loading files. Tried to get into Win normal mode and again froze on startup.

I think I have replaced everything except the Mboard & processor but have never heard of either of them causing this problem.

Can't think what else to do.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I think it is unlikely to be a driver issue and it is more than possible to be a motherboard fault or CPU for that matter as this will need to be processing information as soon as you press the power on button.

If the instructions from the CPU are having trouble getting to the various components then this will cause the problem you describe. Equally if the CPU is having trouble processing information and sending out instructions then again the issue can occur.

If you have a spare CPU then installing this would pretty much tell you which component is at fault.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Shot in the dark here, check to see if AHCI is enabled in bios and then try a fresh install. click here

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I wouldn't expect it to load up and work in safe mode if a cpu / motherboard problem.

That's why I suspected drivers.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Much less resources are used in safe mode and given that he has reinstalled everything then it was time to look elsewhere.

Windows 7 handles drivers pretty well with most (basic) being installed as you install Windows so it is worth trying,if possible,my suggestion.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the good assistance.

The problem was finally analysed as a faulty Mboard or CPU. One for the memory banks perhaps?

Think my friend is thinking of replacing/upgrading the PC rather than throw cash at expensive replacement parts.

Thanks again.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just wondering if it could have been something simple like the CMOS battery needing replaced.

Grandaughter had a similar fault and it turned out to be her hard drive that was faulty. It would work fairly good in safe mode but just froze in normal mode.

New hard drive fixed that.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure if you can put the hard drive in a caddy and run chkdsk on it or not.

I know that running chkdsk on my Grandaughters laptop it used to get stuck at the same spot every time. Now that was with both boxes ticked just having the one box ticked it would finish Ok but with both ticked I presume it could not fix any problems that it found.

Worth a try before you scrap it.

Just noticed that you had changed the CMOS battery and hard drive so please ignore both posts.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...