We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Difficuty reading files from SD card with internal card reader.

Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

I have 2 identical 2GB Sandisk Ultra II SD cards. I use them to play music in the car and as a result don't write to them very often. Since I last wrote files to the cards I have purchased a new computer running Windows 8 whereas the other was Windows 7.

Having reached a time where I want to replace the music on them I find that my card reader won't read them, and either they don't show up at all in 'my computer', or the windows explorer window hangs. Neither am I able to format them.

If I format on another PC (W7) I can then read them on my PC, and I can also copy music files to them, however as soon as I remove the cards and re-insert them, I am yet again unable to read them.

I even acquired an identical card reader but the problem still persists. However, after writing to them, I can read them on the other W7 PCs, and the music will play in the car. The problem persists whether I format as FAT or FAT32.

I also have another SD card (8GB Transcend) with which I have no problem on my PC. Unfortunately seeing as Blaupunkt has decided never to upgrade the firmware for the car player, I cannot use cards of greater than 2GB.

I realise that I can get round this, but I really want to know what the issue could be, which seems to be based on some conflict between the Sandisk cards, and either Windows 8 or my card reader which is a generic model.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

A guess - is W8 reading SDHC only?

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

It's a possibility, but I've not found anything online to confirm or deny.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Nowadays it is getting unusual to get a pc without a built in card reader. Is your problem related to drivers for your external card?

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

It IS an internal card reader, but it's plug and play - no drivers.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Perhaps there should be drivers.

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

The card reader does work, but just not with these two SD cards. I'm trying to find if there are some specific characteristics of certain SD cards which might be uncomfortable with a generic card reader or with Windows 8.

Anyway the reader is completely unbranded, so I doubt there would be anything other than the generic USB drivers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...