We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Water spilled on top of PC, resulting in complete PC failure!

Henry_Atk

Likes # 0

Basically a pet knocked over a glass of water, which then poured off of my desk and directly on top of my PC. I didn't notice this had occurred for 5 or 10 minutes, at which point my screen froze. I took out the power supply, GPU and motherboard and rubbed them down. They didn't seem to be particularly wet although this may have been because they had already dried off whilst i had still had the computer running and apparently the damage had already been done anyway. Now, when i plug the PC in there is an electrical, static sounding noise coming from the motherboard. Pressing the power button does nothing. Its completely dead apart from the noise, which seems to dissipate after a few minutes. I'm assuming i'll be needing a new power supply considering even the psu fan is doing nothing when plug the PC in. I've also attempted to locate the source of the buzzing noise but its easier said than done. All of the transistors appear to be fine, i.e no swelling or burn marks to be found. So, what kind of damage do you guys think has been done and what do you think my chances are when it comes to the motherboard?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It's dead. Water is a killer. If it gets between two electrical contacts they will have shorted out.

Examine your Household Insurance Policy or prepare to damage the Plastic

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Taking out and rubbing can also kill electronics. by static Electric you generate rubbing

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Before giving up all hope try disconnecting the PSU from everything apart from the mains which I assume is still live. See if the noise is coming from that and whether the fan now runs, if it does check the output voltages with a meter. If OK dry everything with a hair dryer and reconnect to motherboard. I don't rate your chances here but won't cost anything.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that bumpkin is an optimist, but you never know, all may not be lost.

However, you may get lucky if the contacts on the Hard Drive didn't get wet.

That can be made into an External Hard Drive, fairly simply. All you files can then be transferred to the New PC and, after Formatting, the old Hard Drive can be used as a Back-up Drive

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite