We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is my computer 32 or 64 bit? And can it be 64 bit?

Will

Likes # 0

I am going to upgrade from Win XP to Win 7. I am going through the various literature, advice and posts but I can't see where I can find out weather my system supports 64 bit. I have the following:

MB - MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7519 1.0

CPU - 3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium, 64 kilobyte primary memory cache, 2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

RAM - 4GB

Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 [Display adapter]

Thanks for amy help you can give me.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look at this link.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Here's a starting point for you

MS article

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Fingers too slow - again!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If the proccessor is x86 (32-bit) you cannot change to 64-bit.

Like this post
Will

Likes # 0

Okay guys thankyou as usual, I am running 32bit. Now I need to find out if I can run 64bit

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

The fourth question on my link should tell you.

Like this post
Will

Likes # 0

onthelimit, that link wouldn't come through. I am searching the specs looking to see where or if "x86 (32-bit)" is mentioned

Like this post
Will

Likes # 0

so just checked the Intel site and it tells me "Instruction set - 64bit so it looks as if I am okay. Thanks again all.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

"Method 2: View the System Information window 1.Click Start, and then click Run. 2.Type winmsd.exe, and then click OK. 3.When System Summary is selected in the navigation pane, locate Processor under Item in the details pane. Note the value. ?If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with x86, the computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows. ?If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with IA-64 or AMD64, the computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows."

From the link I gave above. If the processor is x86 it's a 32 bit processor. If it shows 64 then it's 64-bit.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous