We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is utorrent

johnincrete

Likes # 0

Can anyone tell me what utorrent is and what I might use it for? It's preinstalled on my laptop but I cannot find what it is for

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat but, after looking at the Wikipedia article, I am none the wiser. Like I've already found, it gives features using technical terms I don't understand so I still don't know what it is for.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Your question should have been what is a Torrent?

A torrent (bittorrent) is a way of sharing files, there is no limit on the size of the torrent. You can upload anything. Torrents are also a faster way of sharing files. You'll notice if you download files the time it takes to download a file depends on size, peers and seeds and there connection speed.

Seeds are people who have already downloaded the torrent and they are sharing the file.

Peers are people who are still downloading the file and are sharing it.

When you download a file, you automatically share what you have downloaded so far.

When you download or share a file, you download the file by piece by piece. The file will start off as white bar (or bars if your downloading multiple items in a torrent) and it will fill in with blue. The blue means what piece of the file you have.

To download a torrent, you need a bittorrent client. I use uTorrent.

A lot of people believe that Torrents are just fore illegal file sharing this is not try, I was recently dealing with someone in California and he used the torrent system to share his files with us,legally I might.

Asus use torrent for driver downloads as do other firms.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronos Is this the way I can send very large files to someone?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

It's certainly one way to do it. Have a look at these instructions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED