We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sporadic Firefox Problem 'Not Responding'

ened

Likes # 0

Has anybody else had a problem with Firefox in the past few weeks?

It works fine for a while then, with no apparent cause, it becomes totally unresponsive.

Mostly it rectifies itself but this can take up to five minutes. Task Manager shows it as 'not responding'!

I have tried disabling Add-ons but it still happens.

I had been using it for at least a year and can recall no specific action which preceded this problem.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Are you using the latest version 22.0

If still having problems click on Help.Then Troubleshooting information.Then click on Reset Firefox to its default state.

Now that will probably remove your add ons and Bookmarks and if you use Spywareblaster you have to enable the security for firefox again.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Okay I've done that.

I now have a message stating that I do not have the latest version and do I want to upgrade?

The thing is that I am not convinced that it wasn't an upgrade that started this problem.

Has Version 22 proved to be stable?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I have used it since it came out with no problems.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

A year or so ago I had a similar 'not responding' issue with Firefox. Not sure how I resolved the issue now, but I think that it might have had something to do with a Java or JavaScript download or upgrade.

Strange, but I have had the 'non-responding' once this week, so I am keeping an eye on things?.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I find sometimes it is better to remove it completely using revo and then installing it again helps if there are any problems.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

I've done a clean install of V.22 and it is now worse than ever before.

I liked using it but there is clearly some kind of unresolved issue. I have found plenty of people with the same problem by looking on Google. But no one seems to have a solution.

I guess I shall have to stop using it, which is a shame.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have just checked and apparently I am using the latest version number 22.

All seems okay (so far), except the incident the other the other day, but it seems to have self-righted itself.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

ened

Have you tried disabling all of your add ons to see if it works ok that way.

Or try with your firewall turned off.Maybe a problem with Norton or McAfee if you have any of those installed.

What security program are you using.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

I don't know what went wrong but I posted a reply yesterday and lost it. After that I was unable to post.

Following the majority of advice from various forums I tried disabling the add-ons before I opened this thread. It made no difference.

Apparently this is a common problem but nobody seems to have the answer.

I remember back in the mid-nineties my computer kept crashing when I was on the internet. We could find nothing obviously wrong then, years later, I discovered quite by chance that AOL and Freeserve were not compatible in the same machine.

I am wondering if something similar is happening here? The only argument against that is that I am using IE and Chrome(default) and was when Firefox was running properly!

Like this post
jerica

Likes # 0

The only time I seem to get Not Responding is when I try to log into Hotmail, sometimes it hangs and says not responding and then after about twenty seconds it loads. This has only happened since Outlook took over Hotmail.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...