We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connection issues in new house.

Crazygeorge3
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Evening all, thanks in advance for reading.

I moved house in the last couple of days, to a shared house with a wireless network. At my previous place i used to connect my desktop straight to the router via ethernet. Knowing that i would need to go wireless, i bought a Dynamode WL-GI-600-11N 802.11n Wireless PCI Adaptor last week, and set it up and tested it on my old wireless network. Worked fine, no problems. However when i moved, i can't seem to connect to the wireless network properly, the pc will sometimes load a single web page, and the windows notification will bounce between limited and full net access, however when it says internet access pages will not load and kick out DNS error.

Here's what's baffling me: I connected FINE at my old place My laptop and Iphone connect fine at my new place

But my desktop doesn't seem to get on with the new network? i tried updating the drivers to the latest windows 8, but that doesn't seem to have changed much.

What can i do? I'm using windows 8 pro media centre.

Thanks a lot!

Like this post
Crazygeorge3

Likes # 0

I've just managed to load up speedtest.net before it decided to stop working again, and was clocking in at less than 1mbps, as opposed to the 30mbps i can score on my laptop in the same room.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Are the antennas hidden away at the back of the desktop tower? That would affect the signal they get (weak) as would other equipment blocking signal.

Like this post
Crazygeorge3

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply. They are at the back of the tower yeah, but i get 3-4 bars of signal, same as on my laptop.

Like this post
Crazygeorge3

Likes # 0

Update, today i purchased an Xbox 360 wireless adapter for my console. It connects but often disconnects, and its slow, i mean REALLY slow. I tried a 300mb download and after 10 minutes it was still on 0%. Any advice?

Like this post
Newuser4165

Likes # 0

Are you sure that the desktop is connecting to your own network and not attempting to connect to a nearby open network?Check the network name used by your desktop.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

How many users and devices are connecting to the shared network? It could be that the poor speeds are down to too many trying to work/download at the same time.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

It may be a question of asking all the other subscriber's using the same service, and seeing if they have had similar problems, and if so, how were they resolved?.

Like this post
Crazygeorge3

Likes # 0

After exhausting all options, (changing router channel, settings, etc) Today i caved and bought a TP-Link High Gain USB Wireless Device. Clocking in at 17mpbs using that, not as high as my laptop but its better than nothing that the PCI card was giving me. Literally have no idea what the problem with that was. Thanks for the advice any guys.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK