We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External HDD showing in Windows, but not in BIOS

Kingbhoy
Resolved

Likes # 0

So im trying to restore from an External HDD however it is not showing up as on option in the BIOS, or on the recovery disk software to reboot from.

The drive works fine, if i boot up windows I can take things off it and put things on etc, shows in device manager and disk management fine too. I have tried changing USB port to see if that was the issue, so far no change

Any ideas how to get this to appear in the BIOS? Cheers

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It won't show in BIOS as its not part of the machine and needs driver to run it in windows.

or on the recovery disk software to reboot from.

What recover program are you using? you may need to make a rescue disk with the recovery program while the USB external drive is plugged in.

Like this post
Kingbhoy

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply, I am using EaseUS Todo. I made a recovery USB to boot from which works fine, however once it boots the software I can then only see the internal HDD and not the external one. Il try making this again with the ext HDD in another port and see if that affects it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Did you try clicking on 'Browse' button? "browse for image manually if the image you need is not in the list" (page 33 EaseUS ToDo pdf manual)

Like this post
Kingbhoy

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply, yes. This only leads to browsing the C drive, the external HDD does not show up. I think it is a driver issue but im not sure of a way around this.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

I found this: backupreview.com/easeus-todo-backup-free

"During my first review, EaseUS Todo Backup couldn’t locate my USB hard drive during recovery. I found out this was because the bootable DVD didn’t have the correct USB driver for my hardware. After contacting EaseUS they said the only solution would be to upgrade to Todo Backup Home edition, which supports creating a Win PE bootable disk and might have the correct drivers."

Like this post  
Kingbhoy

Likes # 0

thanks, once I get this sorted il be changing my backup software to something abit more reliable....

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

To get around problem, suggest you copy the backup image to an internal HDD if you have a spare one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer