We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard disk drive failure imminent

esw

Likes # 0

Hi

When I start up my laptop I get the following message "Smart Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 1: Toshiba MK326 3GSX-(S7). WARNING-Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent. Press F1 to continue"

Is this something that needs fixing as a matter of urgency or can I carry on using my lap top for a while so long as I keep backing up important data. Also is this something that can be repaired or am I likely to need a new lap top? Thanks

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You will probably need a new hard drive eventually. They are easy to fit in laptops.

Just keep backing up and I am sure someone will supply you with some programs to check the state of your hard drive.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

How old is the laptop just in case it may be the CMOS battery needing changed the same as this post.

Click here

Like this post
esw

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies-I have had the laptop for about 4 years.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Here are a few programs to use to check on your HDD: Gizmos. But I would take it as read that your HDD is failing and you will need to do something about it sooner as opposed to later.

If you buy a new HDD now it might be possible to clone your existing drive and then just switch them over and all should be well. Failing that it will mean a clean install of Windows and everything esle, programs,updates ETC.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

A new hard drive for it would cost about £40-£50 so if you think your laptop is near the end of it's life maybe cheaper in the long run putting the cash towards a new Laptop.

I must admit I got that same problem a while back on a desktop and ran chkdsk and ticking both boxes and then sfc /scannow and never got the message again.

If your hard drive is on the way out running chkdsk might just finish it off but of course that is up to you.

You can get a new hard drive from Amazon with free delivery if you are going down that route.

Like this post
esw

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the replies-much appreciated. I will look into getting a new hard drive as soon as possible.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad