We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cant play a AVI file

Howles

Likes # 0

Hi. I'm having a problem playing a AVI video file from a cd. on the disk is the video file (630 mb) and a SMIL Multimedia presentation file (853 kb). I have never come across a SMIL file before. when i try to play the video on my pc, it loads windows media player and says (W,M,P encountered a problem playing the file)

When I try to play it on my laptop it loads up the divx player and says (Unsupported subtitle format) for the hell of it i have also tried playing to through the Quicktime player with no luck.

Has anyone got any ideas, do i need different software to play it. And i just thought, i am running on Windows 7

would be grateful for some advice, thanks alot

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Real player should open .smil files,the .smil extension is probably not associated with Real, if you go into it's tools->preferences->content->media types and then on to "manually configure media types for Real player" you will see the .smil in there so tick the box next to it and that should do the trick.

Real Player.

Like this post
lightfeet

Likes # 0

I use VLC (freeware) to view my AVI & all my video files. See click here for a good description. It's never failed me yet.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...