We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 antivirus and installing shareware antivirus

badgermansix

Likes # 0

My friend has just bought a new laptop and is now using Windows 8 rather that WinXP. I know nothing about Windows 8 (and only a little about XP), I can't look at the machine because she live 100 miles away. What security comes with this (like MSE), and should/could she install any freeware/shareware antivirus? Thank you very much.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

It is supplied with MS Defender (a combination of MSE and the old Defender). You can install freeware such as Avast , AVG etc. If you do, Defender is automatically disabled. You can also instal the likes of malwarebytes, superantispyware etc.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 1

Don't overcrowd the new laptop with every free bit of 'anti' software you see. Just keep to 3 or 4 recommended and well known free downloads available. And don't mix more that one anti-virus program, as this may cause a conflict problem.

Like this post
badgermansix

Likes # 0

Thank you both. I know Malwarebytes so I will tell her about that.

Thanks again.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

badgermansix

Maybe tell her to buy the Pro version of Malwarebytes it is a one off payment and will give her that extra bit of protection.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow