We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

7870 Dual VGA Monitor Question

ed89

Likes # 0

Hi all just a question. I have just bought an Asus 7870 with I thought 2 DVI connections. So here is my dilemma, I have two VGA monitors, so I connect both the adapter so it will plug into the DVI slot perfect I then try it in the other DVI slot and it won't fit. I'm baffled as they look the same however I do notice that one has DVI/VGA written beside it and the other one just DVI but both look the same.

So my question is what do I need to buy converter wise to make this work it also has a HDMI and a display port.

Link to what my graphics card has port wise:http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/HD7870DC2TG2GD5V2

D-Sub Output X1 (through DVI to D-Sub adapter) DVI Output X1 (Native) HDMI Output X1 (Native) DisplayPort Output X2 (Native mini DisplayPort)

I also e-mailed Asus and they said:

"1x Dual-link DVI-D 1x Dual-link DVI-I I am afraid to tell you that you need to use two different converters."

This was supplied with the GFX card - 1x DVI to D-sub adaptor

I have managed to confuse myself heaps can someone link me what adapter I need to buy to get my other monitor to work!

Many thanks

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

There are two different DVI connections on your graphics card.

Look at this chart here Video connections. Your main DVI connection will be the second one down and your secondary DVI connection will be the fourth one down. Note the four pin holes missing between the two. I suspect you have bought two DVI adapters ,where as you should have bought one DVI-I adapter and one DVI-D adapter. These can be picked on fleabay for a little over £2.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What you need is a true DVI-D to VGA converter not cheap

see here

Like this post
ed89

Likes # 0

Thanks for the responses guys. Does it have to be Active, I guess that's what bumps up price.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

No it certainly does not have to be active, I still have an old VGA monitor that I use on occasion and a cheapo adapter is all you need, similar to what I linked to earlier.

Like this post
ed89

Likes # 0

So yer it seems that I'm after a DVI-D adapter - Im reading people say that it needs to be active because DVI is digital?

Like this post
ed89

Likes # 0

although my DVI-I adapter defiantly isn't passive

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

My apologies to fruit bat as it looks as though he is correct and that you will need a active adapter, been many years since I only had a monitor with just a VGA connection. It seems an expensive solution with the active DVI to VGA adapter.

Have you looked at either Display Port to VGA or a HDMI to VGA adapter which look a bit cheaper?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite