We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrading some parts in My PC need HELP

sempifi
Resolved

Likes # 0

OK so basically my end goal here is to upgrade my computer to be able to take DDR 3 Ram ( 8Gigs(4gX2)) Upgrade my video card to something more recent ( nvidia 660's) and change my motherboard to accommodate the ddr3 RAM

My current setup is this

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz

4 gig DDR2 Crucial gaming

ASUS P5Q Motherboard

Nvidia 9800 GTX+

Planning on downgrading my windows 8 to windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

my budget is around 300$ +/-

Suggestions guys?

Like this post
sempifi

Likes # 0

a small sidenote, the motherboard has to be able to accomidate the Intel 775 chipset for my proccesors

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I don't think you are going to find a motherboard with socket 775 that will take DDR3 ram and even if you do the increase in performance will be very small. Also, if you are gaming 4GB of ram should do just fine. I suggest you spend your $300 on a graphics card. This: Geforce GTX 660ti would come within your budget and be a substantial upgrade.

Like this post
sempifi

Likes # 0

Are there any options for me staying in ddr2 to get more then 8 gigs in 2 sticks? ( as i only have 2 slots)

This would be a viable option also less parts to change with just about same performance.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

<<Are there any options for me staying in ddr2 to get more then 8 gigs in 2 sticks? ( as i only have 2 slots)>>

The Asus P5Q has 4 memory slots (I still got one in a drawer) but DDR2 rams are more expensive to get now & adding 4 more GBs might not see much difference in gaming performance though,I'm afraid.

click here for a used combo motherboard which can take both DDR2 & DDR3 Rams(I'm afraid it's hard to get a new one now in your country although I can still find eBuyer. com UK still selling them click here ) $49.99

click here for Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) $52.99 The Gigabyte motherboard may have 4 memory slots but you can only use maximum 2 at a time & cannot be mixed.

click here for ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660 2GB $194.99 Please make sure you have minimum 600W PSU required for this graphic card.

Like this post
sempifi

Likes # 0

Ok so my P5Q has 4 memory slots, I already have 2X 2Gig crucial sticks in it, couldnt I solve my memory problem by just adding another 2 Crucial sticks in it? or are they not the same chipset etc etc...?

This would be the way to go if its possible as I will be saving the expense of a motherboard.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

<<I already have 2X 2Gig crucial sticks in it, couldnt I solve my memory problem by just adding another 2 Crucial sticks in it?>>

Yes, you can add another 2 Crucial DDR2 in there preferably the same module for dual channel but as I said before depending on your monitor's native resolution(unless you're running 2560x1600 on a 30" monitor) adding another 4GB ram might not boost any gaming performance.

Your C2Q 9550 is still a very powerful CPU(gaming wise), you can overclock it to 3.6Ghz or more provided you've a decent cooler.

Your system's weakest link is the 9800GTX, change it to a modern decent card will solve your gaming deficiency but as I said before check your PSU's power output first.

Like this post
sempifi

Likes # 0

I have 850w on my psu, i ran a few calculations and i should have enought.

Would a 660ti fix the probleme you think?

And how would I overclock it say to 3.2?

Also will the ram simply be plug and play?

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

<<I have 850w on my psu, i ran a few calculations and i should have enought>>

Your PSU should be beefy enough for most power GPUs.

<<Would a 660ti fix the probleme you think?>>

You haven't mentioned what kind of games you'll be playing but assuming that you're on resolution of upto 1920x1080 & if you're not too ambitious on ultra high settings then yes.

<<And how would I overclock it say to 3.2?>>

TBH any overclocking less than 600Mhz is meaningless however 3.2Ghz is a safe over clock on stock cooling fan without altering the CPU voltage, I'd say leave overclocking alone if you're not confident enough. click here for some reading if you're still interested as well as Overclocking an Asus P5Q using AI Booster click here

<<Also will the ram simply be plug and play?>>

Yes, just make sure you install it properly.

Like this post  
sempifi

Likes # 0

@retep888

Got the overclocking thing all figured out quite simple and straight forward, from what I can see from the monitoring software is that my video card is my biggest downfall.. running anywhere from 95-99.9% usage at all times while playing games (BF3, Company Of Heroes 2,etc)

Also For me to utilize my 8 gigs of ram I am going to install I will have to upgrade to 64 bit OS (my CPU supports 64bit)right now im running 32bit OS and im capped at something around 3.2 gigs of RAm which I think is another downfall for my PC.

I found a used EVGA Nvidia 670 GTX FTW today, I bought it So I do believe that this will fix my video card troubles.

My biggest concern right now is my ram, see I have 4 slots( 2 orange, 2 black(Bolth the same exact things)) Im just curious if it is possible/wise to install some corsair sticks that a buddy of my is willing to give me (4gig corsair sticks) with my 2 crucial ballistix sticks.

So is it going to matter if I mix these to sticks together or will it work perfectly fine as long as I keep the orange with orange and black with black?

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

<<So is it going to matter if I mix these to sticks together or will it work perfectly fine as long as I keep the orange with orange and black with black?>>

It doesn't matter if you're mixing these RAMs as long as they're both DDR2 & installed in same colour slots but the system will run at the slower speed of the RAM if they're not the same frequency.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......