We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Canon BJC 4550 , Dreaded 5 Beep Error

Stoneywood
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have had the above printer for over 10 years and have built up a stock of colour cartridges.

I have had the dreaded 5 Beep Error before, and have sent it away for "service", at a cost of around £80 twice before. Don't know what they do , apart for re-setting the error code for a couple of months.

I am un-decided between the cost of service V stock of colour cartridges, as the printer is old.

Does anyone know a cheaper solution, or a reliable site where I might find an answer?

Thank you. David

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Considering that the printer is 10 years old, then I would suggest that a new printer is required, because 'servicing' is far to costly without any future guarantees.

As for you spare cartridges, you have two options. Some printers might still use the cartridge type, and a check with Canon might help there. Failing that, check somewhere like eBay, and see if there is still a good market for the cartridges you have. If compatibles are still available, then there's still a market!.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

If it is 10yrs old time to replace it. write off the cartridges unless you have loads of them. You may get a few quid for them on Ebay but I doubt it is worth the trouble after paying the fees etc. I had a similar situation, just threw the cartridges away in the end, not worth the time and trouble of trying to sell them for what you will get.

Like this post
Stoneywood

Likes # 0

Reluctant to chuck it. A3 Photo colour suits me fine. Can't help thinking that this "error code" business is a con. Where is the ink tank that needs emptied and where does this excess ink come from? David

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Stoneywood, if you are happy with it fine, we need to clear the error message. There will not be an ink tank that needs needs to be emptied. I had a Canon BJC once and was getting a similar message. Do you still have the manual? I can't remember what I did to resolve it unfortunately. Any reset options?

I doubt there is anything wrong with it mechanically, suggest you google the error code or message for some help. Just wish I could remember, whatever it was it was easy or I would be able to remember it.

Like this post
Stoneywood

Likes # 0

I found some error clearing procedures, but so far they do not work. Regards David

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

There will be a Tank, its a Inkjet. Waste ink comes from the Cleaning Cycle of the Printer and goes out through a Tube in the Printer Rest position. Tank most likely at Right Back Corner, with Pads in it. you will find it hard to Dismantle And make brake some clips getting the top off. But if its broken there is nothing to lose trying. Also look for a plate at the back corner like some Epsons there you can see the above pipe

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Woodchip, there was not one in mine despite me getting the same message. Possibly another model. If he has one then fine that may be the solution.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have just done a quick check with Google and it gave this solution.

Unplug Power cord

Hold power and resume buttons

Plug in power cord

Release buttons

Open front door of printer

Hold the cartridge and resume buttons

Press power

Release all buttons after the bleeps

Press cartridge once

Press resume

The above was taken from http://www.printersiam.com/data/CanonWasteInkTankResetProcedures.htm

That link also covers a number of other printers and makes with the same problem.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There appears to be a problem with the link, but you should be able to find it via Google

Like this post
Stoneywood

Likes # 0

Unplug Power cord

Hold power and resume buttons

Plug in power cord

Release buttons

Open front door of printer

Hold the cartridge and resume buttons

Press power

Release all buttons after the bleeps

Press cartridge once

Press resume

I tried this several times, had it beeping 7 times, but it might have now worked !

Fingers crossed

DGB

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home