We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Total hard drive failure on laptop

steve263000

Likes # 0

I have a Compaq Laptop with a 17" screen. I rarely use it now as I have upgraded to windows 8. When it was turned on yesterday the hard drive refused to load and the following error came up.

Error 0XC000000f and Boot MRG.

Has anyone got an idea what the problem is. I do not have an installation disc for this computer

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Looks like the boot manager is corrupt which means you will need to repair it. Check here.Microsoft.

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

I have been onto the microsoft site and even paid for a recovery system, but to no avail. Nothing seems to be happening to repair it.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have a Compaq Laptop with a 17" screen. I rarely use it now as I have upgraded to windows 8.

How did you upgrade to Windows 8 if you do not have a disk? Why did you stop using it? Can you not revert to whatever operating system you were using prior to the 'upgrade'.

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

I have purchased a new computer. That is what I meant by the upgrade. My fault for not making myself clear enough.

I have downloaded a repair disc from 'Easy repair from windows. After putting it on a CD and choosing boot from CD rom from the menu choice it all seems to go into repair mode. Then when the screen saying 'restart' comes up, after a restart it goes straight to the fail screen again.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What op system on the laptop? Windows Vista or 7?

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

Pre-Installed

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding as another key may be needed to access the Repair/recovery options.

1. Start your PC

2. If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3. If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Windows operating system and Press the F8 key

4. An Advanced Tools menu options screen will now appear

5. Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6. Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7. Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8. The recovery options should now appear

Windows Installation Disk

NOTE

Make sure your PC is set to boot directly from the Windows DVD, most modern PCs are set this way. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

1. Start the PC

2. Immediately insert the Windows DVD into the DVD drive

3. A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD', Press Any key to start the booting process

4. The 'Windows is loading files' screen will now appear with a progress bar.

5. After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

6. You will next see a Blue curtained screen

7. Next the Language option screen will appear Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

8. At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

9. The System recovery options will now search for your Windows installation

10. Once the Windows installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

11. The set of recovery options now appears, Click on the Option you require and follow the on screen prompts

12. Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting

13. System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
  14. Windows Complete PC Restore (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)- If you don't have a backup then don't use this option This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from the back up that you have previously created. Any other data will be lost
  15. Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
  16. Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window
Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat

You have pasted instructions to use a installation disk when he has clearly stated he does not have one.

steve263000

What operating system is the PC that will not boot? And what mode of Compaq is yours?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes but If the pre installed options (printed above first) do not work he can download a W7 or Vista ISo and burn a disk to use - using the instructions above.:0)

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I suspect that it might be XP that he had on the old laptop, being a Compaq.

I did not realise he was talking about two PC until later.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Agree we do not yet know the op system

I have a compaq running w2000 pro

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks