We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Samsung M3 portable HD not recognised

izzi8

Likes # 0

Hi, hopefully someone can help me with this. I got the HD about 1.5 months ago, and have been using it daily for the last month or so. Not had any problems. Then about a week ago there were times when the laptop I was using it with didn't recognise it. A reboot, or unplug - replug in seemed to fix the problem. But yesterday it didn't want to recognise it, and when I went to reboot the laptop it wouldn't restart. The only way to restart it was to unplug the external HD. When I tried this on my PC the same thing happened - wouldn't reboot unless I unplugged the external HD. But the bigger issue is that both computers (PC and laptop) no longer recognise the device. I don't get a drive to click in my computer, I can't find any way to access the files. However the drive does still show up in the 'safely remove hardware' window. The external HD has the blue power light on, nothing untoward there. I've tried disk management through the control panel but the drive isn't showing up there either.

Any thoughts? Can't figure out why it would show up as a device to be stopped to be disconnected but not show up as a drive anywhere. I tried uninstalling the drivers, rebooting and reconnecting and it recognised the device and told me it was operational, but I still get the same problem and have no accessible drive.

This is the first external HD I've owned, I thought they were a great idea, but if they're this unreliable and I've lost all my data then there's no way I'll buy another!

Like this post
izzi8

Likes # 0

update - tried it again in my laptop (which runs Vista, PC runs XP) and I can see the drive in the device manager under disk drives. It says it's working, but I'm still not getting any drive to select to access the files. When I use the device manager to view information about the drive, and ask it to populate the volumes, it can't find any volume information on the drive. When I use the computer management -> disk management window the drive doesn't show up at all.

It's frustrating that it comes up on one list and not the other, and I can't access it in any way!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

When it first started misbehaving was when you should have sort help, I suspect either the caddy is faulty or the harddrive itself is failing. So whereas it is not that difficult to find out which is faulty, it does require you to either have another caddy which you could place the hdd in. Or you could get yourself one of these adapter with which you could try with the hdd. Either way you will nee to determine which part is at fault.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room